Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My mom recently had her rear brakes done at the local mechanic along with mounting her tires. I was going to do the brakes but with work, I haven't had the chance..

Anyway she got it home from the shop, but began making constant noise. She took it back and he said rotors had to have hotspots.. She asked me to take a look and. I took it all back apart, noted rotors were flaking and should not have had pads installed on them.. I put new rotors on it and noticed that there was only one brake pad retainer 'clip' per side. one on the bottom only. I'm used to Subaru's having them top and bottom, so I went and got a brake hardware kit and put them in.. But I wonder, did Subaru omit them for these FB engine cars or did he omit them? he has done at least one set of rear brakes on it in the past... Nothing about the brake system should have made a noise, those rotors would have just ate the brake pads in no time

matt167,

Is what you are calling "brake pad retainer clips" the thin chromed metal inserts that fit into the brake pad caliper mount? If so, there should be one at each end of the brake pads, and depending on which brake pad brand you buy, new ones come with the new pads, or you may have to buy them separately, if the old ones are too far gone.

And ... your mother needs a new mechanic, because she can't trust the work of the guy she went to.