Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is this normal?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:43 PM

Yesterday I was working on my SVX bleeding the brakes, and when i finished i decided to take it for a drive, so i took it out the brakes worked great. So i took was taking my friend home that helped blead the brakes, then at a stop light my clutch cable broke so we pushed the SVX out of the street and parked it a a seven eleven. I went back with my tool to see exacly what happened the cable jsut broke right were it bends at the transimission. So my dad came with a legacy and we pushed started and i drove it home (4-5 miles through seattle) with out the clutch, first time doing do that on a sube. Is this normal to ahve the clutch cable break? I called the dealer and they said that it happens fairly often, but we never replaced it on my dads old legacy with 350,000 miles on it. I have a stronger presure plate with a aftermarket clutch so i guess it would make it harder, but the pedal fells the same as all the other 5spd cable subes i dorve, so it cant be that much stiffer.

#2 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:43 PM

It happens, seemingly at random.

#3 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:48 AM

I'm sure some folks on this board know this, but with a broken cable/hydraulic system, the car can be driven and shifted without a clutch. The starter will get the car going in 2nd gear rather easily.

#4 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:48 AM

Absolutely, Tiny. However, I would only do so if I was stuck in the middle of nowhere. Would rather wait for a tow, and not stress my starter and synchro-rings.

#5 gravelRX

gravelRX

Driven with both feet.

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:56 AM

A manual transmission in an SVX? You do the swap? Jay

#6 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:19 AM

Couldn't agree with you more Setright, but if you don't know how to do it, it's worth just a bit of practice so if you need to, you can.

#7 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,942 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:25 AM

The older models have had their share of this and usually its because of misrouting the cable. In the old ones its usually going to snap at the point near the steering link because it gets rubbed by a toothed edge piece over time.

#8 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,419 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:03 AM

The telltale sign of a worn/ready-to-go clutch cable is when it gets kinda heavy, and may feel like there's sand in the sheath (kinda gritty).

I have heard of a few tales of cables breaking too.

#9 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:51 AM

I had no idea the starter would move car in gear. I only had to do a couple 1st 2nd shifts, about 4, and only one ground a little so i dont think i did any real damage to the box. The clutch cable felt kind of squisy, before it went. It broke off by the transmission at he first bend. The wire seemed to break at 2 parts, about 1/2inch apart, about half the wire was broke at onepart and half at the other.

Gravel RX, yeah i did a 5spd swap in the SVX. Makes thecar alot quickeroff its feet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users