Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Outback window control sticks open

I have an interesting problem with my driver's window. When I open it in "auto" mode (press the switch fully so the window opens all the way by itself), the window opens fine but then sticks open. When open I hear the motor periodically trying to continue opening the window. It seems that the control does not know the window is open so continues to try to open it.

The window is then stuck open though I can can close it by holding the close button for about 10 seconds.

I don't know if the problem is in the switch mechanism or in the window-open sensor. Where is the sensor that tells the controller that the window is open? Once I find it I assume I can fiddle with it and figure out if it's the problem or the switch.

thanks; Kozmo

Remove switch from panel, disassemble master control, clean contacts with contact cleaner reassemble etc. On older ones 85-89's there are samll springsso work where you can find parts that "get away". It will pricy from daeler as they will replace swithch assembl. Good luck!

You bring up a good point about the window I have not really thought about before, but it seems there must be some sort of cutoff switch. I would suspect the switch is inside the door panel near the bottom of the window track but this is entirely a guess. I would look for a switch somewhere near the window track if my first guess is wrong.