Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Here's some pic's of the Subaru Alliance swap meet and show

Here's all 65 of my meet pics: http://usmb.net/gallery/album247

Here's a quick summary of the meet...

Friday night Eric (snotrocket), me, and my friend Matt (friend helping me transport the red wagon) rolled into Butler. Within minutes of arriving everyone had a beer in hand and we were over at the carbola playing pool. Josh took delivery of his new red wagon and took it home. Later we went back to Miles Fox's den and played Sonic the Hedgehog until early in the morning.

Saturday we all ended up sleeping too late. Matt and I were the first ones at the carbola, where we met a non-Alliance member (!) looking for Subaru parts. Unfortunately we couldn't get into the Carbola so we had to turn him away, but he came back later. Around early afternoon everyone made it to the carbola. Wasn't really much going on, just hanging out, playing music, drinking some beer, fixing Subarus, and putting coins on the railroad tracks. Later that afternoon Ol Jim Wood (86subaru) showed up and hung out for a while, and some of the guys did some donuts in the no-donuting zone. One of the Butler police officers, busy cleaning up the crime-infested streets of Butler, stopped by to tell us to stop screwing around on the railroad tracks. While there he saw the donuts on the lawn and radio'ed one of his buddies. A while later another fear-inspiring Butler police officer showed up to talk to Miles Fox about the donuts. Soon after the chief of police, pipe in mouth, showed up at the carbola. Apparently this was a crime of such magnitude that about half of the entire PD was required to be on the scene. After the chief left, we headed out to the pit to do some Baja'n. My car and the Trashwagon 5 were the only ones to make the first run. The Trashwagon was running in RWD on bald tires and did surprisingly well... that is, until the rear differential hanger broke (I guess from running over a log). We limped back to the carbola and called it a night.

On Sunday we ended up sleeping too late again, and then headed over to the carbola. Miles Fox and Eric started work on the Trashwagon while everyone else hung around. Besides just repairing the diff hanger, they also installed a front axle so the car could run in 4WD. In mid-afternoon the wagon was finally ready, and the bunch of us headed out to the pit again. On the way there, we hit a rainstorm which made plenty of fresh mud. Once in the pit, we were Baja'n for an hour or so. The mud was nice and slippery, and the cars all got really dirty. I started doing some mud bogging while Matt took pictures. After I pulled off the trail and was putting the camera away, the Trashwagon 5 suddenly came over a ridge, bearing right at the side of my car! Fox tried to steer away, but his tires had no grip in the mud, and he just went into a powerslide. A fraction of a second later he smacked into my left quarter panel. The damage to my car wasn't severe... a trim piece knocked off, a slight krinkle in the metal, a broken taillight, and a fold in the bumper. The Trashwagon, though, didn't fare as well. It made contact right at the B-pillar, and bent the pillar in to the point it was touching the seat. It also dented both doors and shattered the rear window. But, the Trashwagon 5 was still alive, and Fox was determined to run it some more- until he realized the car also had a broken rear axle. The other guys ran around some more, and after a little while we decided to call it quits and take the wounded Trashwagon home. We were just about out of the pit, when Fox had a problem near the entrance. He was on some wet grass, headed straight for the river, and his brakes didn't respond! He ended up slamming into a tree by the riverside, bending the front of the Trashwagon and folding the radiator hose shut. After extracting the car, he removed the fender and did a little rewiring, and the car was moving under its own power again. Unfortunately, the folded hose wasn't allowing coolant to circulate, and the car overheated all the way home.

After cleaning the carbola, Eric, Matt, and I headed toward home. We planned a stop at Jim Wood's place, and on the way there we hit a group of tornadic thunderstorms. We were slowed to a snail's pace and arrived at Jim's around 11 at night. Jim was out picking up an XT with John (thealleyboy) and still wasn't back yet, but his wife welcomed us in. After getting some much-needed showers Eric and Matt went to sleep, and I stayed up waiting for Jim and John. They showed up around 2:30, and I got to bed around 3.

At 5AM the next morning we attempted to get up, but didn't make it out of bed till about 5:45. After a cup of coffee with Jim's family we hit the road. Around 8:30 we made it to John's place and had coffee and donuts while talking about Subarus. We stayed for a little less than an hour and then got back on the road. At about 12:30 we rolled into Morgantown. Eric filled up his gas tank and went on his way, and Matt and I went over to my place to unload the wagon. After that Matt went on his way home, and I went to bed.

This weekend was an adventure and an absolute blast. Will I be going back again? YOU BET!!

2004 Subaru Alliance swap meet by the numbers:

Number of times police cars randomly drove through carbola: lost count

Gallons of gas siphoned: 4

Minutes Zanny Dook and Myoss Feece held their cars past redline in the Carbola parking lot: 5

Number of rude Ford Taurus remarks: lost count

Roast Beef sandwiches squashed on railroad tracks: 1

Donuts spun in forbidden zone: At least 20 revolutions

Money spent on beer: about $60

Bottles of imported beer consumed by Zanny Dook before he felt the first one: 5

Cases of welding-induced sunburn: 1, to the tender white underside of my right arm

Axles changed: 2

Axles obviously broken: 1

I had a great time, and I thank Miles for inviting us out. I'm glad I went, it was the best time i've had in a while.

I guess the most notable moments for me were sleeping on the Roof of Boom, driving Trashwagon 5 back and forth from the Baja pit twice, and finally showing off my Bug. Unfortunately, the Bug didn't run right the entire time I was out there. It has a miss that seems to correspond with throttle position. Whatever, i'll figure it out. Also, it's a good feeling when someone tells you, "Hey man, don't be afraid to rev this thing up!" You know, after seeing the horrific abuse that Trashwagon 5 survived without much complaint, I am forced to seriously consider getting something with an EA82 in it. That, and it's a good excuse to go to some more events.

Oh, I'd like to thank 86subaru and his wife for a bed and shower and cup of coffee. I hope I didn't wind up your little dog too much. And Alleyboy for breakfast. All of you can expect me around again at some point.

C-ya,

Eric

Looks like fun was had by all, with a few exceptions. Wish I could've made it down, but my plans were changed by the Ruling member of the house.

Steve, sorry I didn't meet up with you out on the road. Would've been there, but I didn't know you where driving over Friday night. Thought you were driving over on Saturday morning.

Need to get down there and pick up my stuff that Steve and Jim brought for me.

Eric, Matt, Steve......nice meeting you guys! I had a blast hanging out with you. Hey Steve, the "Red Beast" ran great all day Sunday and part of Sunday. I took Ro-A and VolcomDon back out there to show them what they missed.....well, I started on the east field, nothin to it, right!? I was chuggin at about thirty something when all of then all of the sudden the same route I drove a day earlier was under water. I tried to manuever my way through with more gas, it was then I relized that I entered more than I could chew off...I looked for land, but the Beast died........Stupid Stupid Stupid! The car would not start! I should have scouted the terrain first.....well I minipulated the hood so I could open it without getting wet...I checked the disty cap and it was bone dry...huh.... Ro-A said, let me check it, so I headed back the the drivers seat ( the two of us on the bumper together would have put it under water) and he finagled his way out. He checked the ignition coil plug and it was wet......he dried it off, I tried it and it started....he got back in, and we slowly backed the hell out of that **** (gripping all the way)...(the car was an instant friend, why, it covered my dumb rump roast)......a good portion of the run we made a day earlier was under water....so we cut out.... I was glad to be out of there! The "Red Beast" was safe and handled itself with great honor!

Josh!

Man, sounds like I missed a real adventure.

I had planned on going; I even had arranged to borrow an '86 GL wagon to drive down. Then a bunch of crazy stuff happened.

One, my mom fell off the deck and needed me to help with yardwork.

Two, my brother bought a house. A friggin' HOUSE. Major stuff happening there.

Miles; what's up for court & everything? Also, Trashwagon 5 looks fixable to me. That B-pillar should pound out. See how much you can get it to resemble its old self; I may want to get some professional photography done of you and the car for promotional purposes.

I made a new friend who owns a tow dolly. Let me know what's up for fetching the Iowa Subarus...

Work on the film continues. I'm scanning in your artwork now. I need more of it. Do you still have the list of requests I sent?

-Tim Hansen

tim the wagon is still in IOWA, contact subiemech85 about its condition, state of repair, as he has both cars. fix the turbo and change the oila nd she's good.

"what if trashwagon 5 could be the next 2-door wagon?"

if i could find a set of 2-doors then i honestly wouldnt be afraid to do it. the rocker is pretty concave at the b- pillar. lucky for the other side, those are doors i just put on. all the sheetmetal is "transferrable" to another part to be replaced. i dont know.

i need to do something with all my stuff before the city of butler kicks me out of butler. tim, you should have been there it would have been good "follow up"!

anyway i have court on monday, all of my court was pushed up to june, so i JUST got my "discovery motion" in the mail. i still have to be assigned a public defender to present my case.

anyway the from the prosecutor says, plea bargain

"could reduce his time from excess of 4 years to a maximum of no more than 15 months"

i can't take that seriously

i think im gonna have to JUNK the ol trashwagon, it has served me well. at least i got ONE GOOD RUN with it having complete 4wd. the RX needs a motor, let myoss feece have the tranny and diff for the trashwagon 6, and i will use trashwagon 5's parts for a trash 3-door, yeah, a beefed up 3-door i can call an rx finally!

the pigz knew i was having a swap meet so they were itching to razz me. i think what initially drew their attention was eveyone squishing coins and misc items on the RR tracks behind the carbola, every 10 min when trains went by. then they saw the donuts. then the CHEIF stops by for a chat. oh well, whats an event in butler with miles fox without the pigz to go with. naturally...

once i get my stuff in order i think i will take off to ohio for a week or two and let things settle down without me, get out of the butler scene for a while.

i just may end up in wisconsin one of these days, who knows. see you at jim's