Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 stiff shifter

My 91 loyale's shifter (its a manual) is very stiff. It takes a fair amount of effort to shift through the gears. There is no grinding, but it forces you to drive the car sedately. In my GL I can slam the shifter through the gears and accelerate decently fast, but I can't do that when the shifter wont move fast. Does anyone know why this is the way it is? I sprayed penetrating oil all over the area where the linkages run, but that didn't help. Is there bushings or something that would stiffen over time? I need some advice.

Details on the clutch? How many miles on it, how is it driven?

If it's a high-mileage clutch, or driven hard, the pressure plate might be throwing in the towel. Be forewarned, they can make the car undriveable in a matter of about 4 or 5 miles!!:eek: That's what happened on my Legacy. Drove 5 miles to something, drove okay, drove 5 miles back, became almost impossible to drive on way home, couldn't shift, engagement point on the floor. Took it to mechanic the next day, 3 miles in 2nd all the way, pedal stayed on floor when I parked at the shop!

I agree with checking the clutch for adjustment first.

In the meantime, when was the last time you checked the gear oil level in the transaxle? Dipstick is underneath your spare tire, on the passenger side of the tranny. I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil in mine now, very smooth.

Synchros going?

Good luck.

Thanks for the advise. sorry, the car has 153k on it, all on the origional clutch. The clutch disengages close to the top of the pedal travel, and reengages close to the same place, so I think its working fine. Wouldn't worn syncros or a stuck clutch cause the gears to make an audible grinding noise? The tranny is full of decent looking oil. I'm thinking of putting the D/R tranny out of my GL in eventually, but in the year or so in the meantime, I'm hoping for an easy fix.