Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Old Timer New to Subaru

I'm a boomer and have had hundreds of cars from VW, Datsun, especially Honda and everything from Ramblers to Packards and beyond in US steel.

My wife and I are retired and moving to the country full time and I need something AWD. Subarus have always fascinated me. Almost bought a Brat in '78 but the wife vetoed the plan.

I still do all maintince and most repairs on my 82 F150 (2nd owner with less than 60K) and kept the family 94 Accord on the road through most repairs. I say that to introduce my mechanical side.

I'm looking at a 95 Legacy wagon, 127,000, manual five speed, Supposedly new oil pan gasket and timing belt. Beyond the basics, what should pay careful attention to? Also money's tight and my budget is 3,500.

I looked through the site and didn't find either a sticky or wiki about checking out all the models of used Subarus, so I'm sticking my questions in my introduction.

Thanks for all your help, I'm looking forward to hanging out here and learning about my newest car/project.

95 is one of the best of that generation. With the 2.2 engine and 5spd trans it should, with basic care go to 400,000mi easily.

First and foremost, check the tires that they are all the same, and worn evenly. On the test drive, drive it for several miles to get the trans up to temp, the go into a parking lot and do tight figure 8's. It should do them easily at just over idle. If not the center clutch is getting near the end of its life, not a cheap fix.

Other than that, check the same basics you would with other cars. Its doubtful, but after the test drive, open the hood, and check the coolant tank for bubbles while its idling. This indicates a bad head gasket.

Edited by crazyhorse001