Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How tough is your subaru?

My "BumbleBeast" and I, already have more than Thirty Years together   :) 

So we have plenty of interesting stories to tell, but these four are the most:

My dad drove 70 miles my EA82 "BumbleBeast" in 1995, with a Broken Head!

He poured fresh water to the Hot, empty radiator after a Head gasket Failure...

The valves came loose and it ran on two cylinders, but never stopped 'til got home.

My Subie got severly Rear Ended in december of 2003 by a 4X4 toyota Hi-Lux,

The hit was so hard that I got Whiplash on my Neck, and I hit a Yaris in front...

But I rebuilt it the best I could, with patience and time; it recovered its shape.

Once, I drove it with a Broken rear (Stock) Shock Absorber, several miles...

I drove it after a full tank refilled with Diesel by a Gas Station's employee while I went to the bathroom, I believe that he thought that the Subie was Diesel engined, due to the loud T.O.D. ... :mellow: ... 61 Miles in second gear and low RPM's to prevent overheating the EA82, we went Blowing an Enormous white cloud of concentrated smoke, But the Subie Always reaches home with us, safely; the only damaged parts were the melted sparkplugs, thanks to God.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

I drove it after a full tank refilled with Diesel by a Gas Station's employee while I went to the bathroom, I believe that he thought that the Subie was Diesel engined, due to the loud T.O.D. ... :mellow: ... 61 Miles in second gear and low RPM's to prevent overheating the EA82, we went Blowing an Enormous white cloud of concentrated smoke, But the Subie Always reaches home with us, safely; the only damaged parts were the melted sparkplugs, thanks to God.

This is amazing!

• Like 1

sheared off 4 lug studs on a front wheel of an XT6 in the middle of a 700 mile road trip at 1am.

remove two brake caliper bracket bolts - one from each side to use as lug studs - they're the same thread pitch as the lug nuts.

each bracket then only has one bolt holding it in place - made sure they were tight.

borrowed 1 lug nut from each remaining wheel - had to hold the bolt in place as it's skinny and short - tightened it up and finished my trip.

1996 Legacy LSi converted to EJ18 and FWD has been wrecked at interstate speeds twice:
75mph deer struck straight on, on the interstate - would have been totaled if i had full coverage, i rebuilt it.

a couple years later friends were driving, blew a tire and spun out across the interstate smashing the rear end and, careened across the interstate and slammed the front a second time.

obviously way totaled.

i again rebuilt it and it's still trucking with 240,000 miles or something.

i've got pictures of all the carnage somewhere, i've posted it before.