Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Forester 2.5xs exhaust pushing coolant out of radiator....

Bought a used 2005 Forester great shape needed a motor. Replaced it with a used Legacy 2.5 that had timming belt and head gaskets replaced two years ago. I always smell antifreeze but never see it. I noticed the coolant reservoir was empty a few times. Well it keeps needing coolant so Im almost pos that the head gaskets are shot. Is this worth fixing or should I just cut my losses now? Is this a problem that will keep happening? I always had a love and trust for Subaru untill now.

post-60603-0-73714000-1449931241_thumb.jpg

Rule out any other leaks first. Hoses, water pump, thermostat housing seal, crossover pipe o-rings under the intake manifold.

The 2.5s from that era are known for having external coolant leaks from the head gaskets. Subaru 2.5 turbo engine head gaskets are often used to fix that.

6-Star and Cometic also have updated head gasket designs that will take care of it.

• Like 2

Take a good look at the rad hoses, and heater hoses for leaks. Even a small leak will empty the reservoir over time. Keep a watchful eye for any leaking coolant spots that may form on the driveway or garage floor, that would indicate leaks.

Your Subie motor is prone to external head gasket leaks. Subaru sells coolant conditioner (stop leak) to somewhat fix the problem. If the leak is too severe, then the head gaskets will need replacement. Others on this forum have used the coolant conditioner before replacing the head gaskets, and had good results

Oh, and replace your radiator cap.  Use either a Subaru Genuine or Stant.   Cheapo aftermarket ones are terrible!

If it hasn't overheated, the head gaskets are likely not a problem.  But there is NO way you should be losing coolant out of the radiator! 

Emily

Yes, find the leak.  Failing headgaskets usually push coolant out, air into the reservoir. 

Check ALL of the several coolant hoses, not just the radiator hoses.

You may have a small leak to the exterior that lands on the hot engine, and evaporates before you see it.

Does this model of engine have intake gaskets that share coolant and intake passages like EA82s? 

And / or a coolant passage between the throttle body and manifold?

• Like 1

Replaced it with a used Legacy 2.5 that had timming belt and head gaskets replaced two years ago.

how badly was the engine overheated?

were the heads resurfaced?

what brand head gaskets were used?

Ideally the engine was never overheated, heads resurfaced, and Subaru Turbo EJ25 headgaskets used - it's easy to not hit all three of those items on a used engine for sale.

• Like 1

how badly was the engine overheated?

were the heads resurfaced?

what brand head gaskets were used?

Ideally the engine was never overheated, heads resurfaced, and Subaru Turbo EJ25 headgaskets used - it's easy to not hit all three of those items on a used engine for sale.

I caught the problem right away. The gauge only went 3\4 of the way to hot then I had it towed so I didnt overheat it to bad but I have no Idea about the previous owner of the motor

I do no t know for this newer engine, but my experience with EA82s is that 3/4 overheat with low coolant is all it takes to damage headgaskets.

The real test is to monitor coolant level like a hawk [every drive cycle]  for at least a week.  If coolant is going away, and there are no other leaks, or coolant is always pushed into the recovery, not a good sign.