Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is the Crosstrek right for me?

Supremacy

Hi all!

I'm thinking about buying a new 2016 Crosstrek Premium with Eyesite as my first car ever. Reason being I have my first child coming and want something reliable and safe for my baby and my wife. I live in New York, NY, so I was always able to get by without a vehicle. But now that the little one is coming, I can't put it off any longer. I'm thinking about either the Crosstrek or the Honda HRV, but leaning more towards the Crosstrek.

Do you all think this would be a good choice for me? I don't want a bigger SUV because parking is tough in the city. I also been reading about something called an Ambassador coupon? How do I sign up for one of those?

Thank you all for reading!

Thanks guys. The wife is complaining that the cargo space is too small and might not fit a baby stroller. Also the lack of AC vents in the backseats, since she will be in the backseat most of the time. But the eyesite feature is winning her over. I'm 90% sure I'll go with the Crosstrek, just need to practice my negotiation now haha.

• 2 months later...

Oh crikey, tell wifey to fold down one of the rear seats, get a reasonable-sized foldable stroller to then fit in the back, strap the kid into his baby carrier into the other rear seat, she rides in front ....and....wait for it..........YOU ALL SURVIVE!  Amazing, but true.

• 1 month later...

A tip. Make a deal with the internet sales people. When you walk in, the price will be prenegotiated. Done.

You can bet that me and my wife have it down with sales people. She act shy, I act confident, but defer to her. We even talk about what we're going to say and do before hand. Dealers are our beyotch.

• Like 2

i don't know anything about crosstek space in the back, but a genearl comment since you brought it up - might want to have plenty of room to grow into. pack and plays, strollers, bags, gear, bikes, etc. if you travel, go places, parents live out of state, will have another kid in 2-3 years, enjoy hobbies then get as much space as you can. it's nice to have room for strollers, pack and plays, kids gear, or sit one or two people in the back to go with you places. the smaller Subarus can be really tight to fit two people in the back with a car seat or one person in the back if you have two car seats.

this includes the products you buy:

small car seats are much more convenient than bigger ones (they can still have top safety ratings). our first car seat we didn't pay attention and it was a monster and cumbersome compared to later seats we bought.

Edited by grossgary

• 5 weeks later...

As a person who has had to sell one vehicle and buy another to make room for child seats, I recommend talking your child seat in to the dealership with you and test fit it in the rear seat with you and your wife sitting in the front and see how it fits. Back in the day when my youngest son was in an infant seat, we ended up having to give up our Forester for a vehicle with more rear seat room to accommodate the infant seat. I have always been a fan of the outback wagons and have owned one since '98. Check out the Outback if it is in your budget, if not you may want to consider pre-owned. The 97 Outback served me well and was still going strong at 272K miles when I was rear-ended a couple of months and it was totaled. The impact was a rear impact with a large SUV pulling a commercial mower trailer hitting me in the rear, forcing me into another commercial truck in front of me. Both ends of my car were demolished, but me and my son walked away without injury.

Edited by Ionlyhave3suubs

There is a TON of room in the back seat.  It's what drew me to them in the first place.  I can fit in the back behind someone taller than me sitting comfortably in the front seat.  I'm 6'3.  

These Crosstreks are some of the safest vehicles on the planet.