Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T runs great and then bogs down and stalls

Just bought an Subaru Leone EA82T '87. Fires right up no problem and drives great. But 10min into the drive I start noticing a slight hesitation on throttle, like a plug wire problem would feel like. Then the car starts to lose power and starts to sputter and bog and backfire until it doesn't have the power to drive on and stalls. Then I have to wait up to an half an hour to be able to get it running again. Any thoughts on this?

I love how quick you guys are to reply to problems on this forum :D

I'm going to dig in and try to fix this problem this weekend. I haven't noticed any check engine light so far.

The to-do list:

(The easy stuff first)

- Check for ECU codes

- Air filter

- Check sparkplugs and wires

- Compression test

- Fuel pressure test

- Check for vacuum leaks

- Coil

- Checking all grounds

- Unplug and clean all connectors

- Fuel filter

- Injection cleaner

- Drive with the gas cap off

- Check for leaking fuel pressure regulator

- Check for exhaust leaks

- New temp sensor

- Clean/change the MAF

- Change the fuel pump and check the sock

- Crank sensor

You may know this, but I'll add it for anyone new who may not realize it. The coolant temp sensor is separate from the sensor for the temperature gauge. The CTS is the one that can effect engine running, and it can fail without causing the ECU to show a code.

You may know this, but I'll add it for anyone new who may not realize it. The coolant temp sensor is separate from the sensor for the temperature gauge. The CTS is the one that can effect engine running, and it can fail without causing the ECU to show a code.

I knew they were a seperate thing in the USDM cars. I have a JDM car so I don't have the temp gauge ;) Thanks for the heads up :D

I knew they were a seperate thing in the USDM cars. I have a JDM car so I don't have the temp gauge ;) Thanks for the heads up :D

Got any pics of the instrument cluster ? I've never seen any without the temp gauge It's usually tacho, oil pressure or volt meter that is missing in these if it's analog cluster. Oh are you sure it's JDM and not European model and do you have right hand drive in it ?

Edited by -tombba-

• 5 months later...

Sounds like a clogged catalytic converter, or exhaust pipe problem to me, especially if its not lighting the engine light

I agree with this assessment.. I've seen this in multiple models: 1999 Chrysler Town and Country, 1995 Ford Windstar.  remediate a "plugged cat".