Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any tips on what to study prior to schooling as a mechanic?

Hey all, I'm Detronix (not my real name) 

I REALLY want to be a mechanic.

I'm not exactly ready to start learning right away because I don't have the money or my own garage. I have a 99 Impreza (non turbo)

But I figure that I should save up some money and then eventually do some schooling. (Possibly in Holland)

I was wondering if there are any mechanics here who could recommend for me some things that they consider sort of prerequisite topics that everybody should at least familiarize them selves with before doing mechanic schooling. Is there anything?

IE - Will it be an advantage for me to improve my mathematics skills? Will it make being a mechanic easier? 

Edited by Detronix

Yes, math will help, as will physics. It helps to understand how objects interact. Some basic electronics courses would help as well, as cars are becoming robots very rapidly. You have to try to stay ahead of technology to be a good all around technician.

If you intend to open your own garage, then some business courses will help.

I work as a robotics technician in a factory. So staying up on the latest and greatest is in my best interest.

Edited by crazyhorse001
  • Like 1

As someone who works on the corporate side of the mechanic's world, I would say it depends on what your long term goals are.

Do you want to wrench on other people's cars your whole life?  Do you want to fabricate and build hot rods?  Do you want to run a garage, or do you want to manage a fleet?

• Be able to troubleshoot/modify/repair electrical circuits is probably the top thing, as stated above.
  • Being able to weld, while also being car-savvy, can open a lot of doors.
  • Working directly for an OEM gets you a foot in the door to the corporate side of things.
  • Being a well-educated, well-rounded citizen of the world is probably the best thing you can do in life in general.

bugger, I was hoping for a no =P

jk

To be honest, I don't know what I wanna do. actually, I know that I at least want to have enough skill to be able to fix my own car, in the event that I break something.

Fixing other peoples cars is a bonus, but working as a mechanic isn't necessarily what I have in mind, unless it's as part of a large company or something, like an oem.

^ that's the most important for me, to just have the skill and for it to be on such a level that I could at least compare to the pros'. 

oh and, in reality, sometimes life takes you places whether you planned it or not and to skip on an opportunity is kind of a bad thing which id rather avoid doing.

Physics? I had that in mind already as something to learn, but there's just so much work.... Gonna have to haul rump roast.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, it's really useful.

Edited by Detronix

I personally have learned everything I know from being a technician apprentice for 2/3 year (part time while in high school not a tech school). I am now considered a class B technician. But for me, it was really just understanding. Problem solving. "Why does this happen?" "Does this work like this...?" and always working and challenging yourself to get better and know more. And if there is a point where you have no idea, ask questions. I swear my co-workers hate me because I'm always asking questions to understand more and better. 

I agree, understand physics wouldn't hurt, more so the principles and the "how it works' then the "find the velocity of this random object that I threw at 10 degrees."

Also, I recently took an electrical class and I feel I understand the electrical portion of a car MUCH better.

In my opinion, the more you read and the more you do research on how stuff works the better you'll do. But don't ever think you can compare yourself to pros if you don't push yourself and keep trying to learn and get better. Understand cars and how they work takes time and will. 

Good luck to you and whatever you end up doing in life.

And yeah, I agree. being able to work on your own car is amazing, most job I save like 70% of what a shop would charge someone, and it's my car, so I can take even better car of it.

Edited by golucky66

Thanks bud.

Hmmm, Maybe I should buy a Honda CRX (like in my avatar) and work on that, while keeping my Subi intact. Quite an intoxicating idea.

imagine that... That little green car in my avatar with Awd from an old Subaru and a classic Subaru Exhaust rumble sound. That little thing is so light (like a tin can) It would be nuts. And since it would be a project car, a turbo would HAVE to be a must. Ultra nuts.

Edited by Detronix

• 2 weeks later...

#1 Join the military, any branch will do, and pick an MOS (job) as a mechanic. While you are in, lets say you sign up for a 4 year enlistment, you can easily finish a college degree that will  be totally paid for and you will bring to employers actual experience, education, and a work ethic that they dream of. I am assuming you are in the USA, if not check into what your nation's military offers.