Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removing the 4WD indicator light switch on a Loyale.

Hi all,

I have a 1991 Loyale with manual transmission, and I am attempting to remove the 4WD indicator light switch.

This is my next step in diagnosing the problem of the dashboard indicator light not coming on when the vehicle is in 4WD. I have confirmed that the vehicle is properly engaging and disengaging from 4WD when pressing the pushbutton on the shifter.

I believe I have located the 4WD indicator light switch on the top rear of the transmission. Due to the location, I can barely access the plastic connector, and I am having a bear of a time getting my fingers in any position to disconnect the connector. Also, I am not sure how I'll be able to access the switch itself.

I have read posts that say this is a pain in the butt. It sure is - does anyone have tips?

Thanks.

- Jason

be a few times now have found problem is in the switch, not the light or dash. Switch needs to be tested, cleaned and fiddled, maybe even adjusted with a washer . Had both cleanliness and adjust issues at switch. Maybe you can access the switch easier if you drop the rear gearbox cross member ? Mine have all been done off vehicle

Thanks Jono.

I removed the cross member and that improved access, but only marginally. I attempted to get a wrench in there (socket and open-end) but neither can fit in that tight space.

Without deeper dis-assembly, or a novel idea, it seems I won't be able to test or replace the switch. At least this faulty switch is merely an inconvenience.