Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Identifying my engine help?

gizmo432

I have a 2.2 turbo in my Funco Sandrail. I don't have a VIN and I need to figure out which motor it is. I need to replace the timing belt and water pump. Are they all the same on the 2.2L SOHC turbo? Is there a number on the block that might help? Anything to look for?

Thanks

as far as i knOW,

THE ONLY TIME THEY MADE AN EJ22 TURBO  in the USA was 90 - 94,

and i don't think they made them all 5 years.

if you bought a JDM engine then it could be any year.

but as long as it is in fact an ej22 block and haeds,

they are all the same.

same belt size,

same idlers,

same water pump?

but there could b a ''high endurance'' belt or something, i guess.

How do I know that it is EJ22? I am just guessing because I think it is a non-interference motor because when the belt broke it did no damage...the car just died. I want to be able to look at the motor and see some identifying something that I can cross reference? Anyone know what I can do or a place online where there are pictures of this model and another model and another model side by side??

How do I know that it is EJ22? I am just guessing because I think it is a non-interference motor because when the belt broke it did no damage...the car just died.

How do you know there's no damage if the new belt isn't on yet? (Maybe you mean it broke a previous time and was replaced and didn't do damage then, but hasn't yet broken this time?)

For the water pump I think in the 90's there was a 'high velocity' water pump that I believe was for the turbos, that might have been the cast vs stamped impeller debate that came up from time to time back when.

Edited by porcupine73