Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member from Denver

Hi All,

Bill here. I have lurked and found lots of good info. Now I am digging deeper into my O2 sensors and other stuff trying to improve mileage. I lost 5-6 MPG on a rebuild, maybe it's gone forever.

Oh yeah, 1999 Legacy Outback 2.5, motor rebuilt at 266500, have almost 20k since rebuild.

And it uses some oil. The main reason to have the rebuild is because it was using oil, about two quarts between changes (3000 miles). Now it uses about a quart depending on how hard I run it but does not appear to be burning it (no smoke that I can see). Funny thing, my rebuilder said to change the pvc and that made a big difference even though I put a new one in when it was rebuilt...

Anyway, I am now registered and will be digging deeper as time allows.

Thanks,

Bill

There is an inspection plate called a BAFFLE PLATE in the rear bell housing on some EJ25 2.5 motors, which is plastic,

and cracks with age and heat and leaks oil. Or the gasket for it goes bad. Later baffle plates were aluminum, but could still leak from a bad gasket.

To repair this, you must pull either the motor or the transmission. After that, it is a cheap and easy repair though.