Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dropped my WRX off at the Subaru dealer service center to get a diagnostics on an existing issue. Check Engine light comes on and engine codes read that all cylinders are misfiring. It started w/ #2 about two years ago, repair shop replaced the spark plugs. One month later, engine codes come back w/ cylinder 2. Eventually I get all 4 cylinders misfiring over a period of one year. Back to the diagnostics, the service techs ran a compression test on #2 and they said the compression was very low (I didn't write it down). How ever, after a little bit of research it seems like it could be a valve issue or more then likely a piston issue. Ether way its going to cost 5,000+ to fix. I looked at what a new motor would cost and Subaru can swap the motor they built for 8,400. Looking at Motion Labs http://www.motionlabtuning.com/services/pro-built-engines/subaru-pro-built-engines/ they sell a motor for 2,999 and after getting the complete set up its 3,800 or so. If you've got an engine from them or another site, please comment. What I'm wondering is if its worth putting that much money into this car? The two passenger doors need to be fixed, I scrapped a rail road tie a few years ago. I can use insurance to fix that for 500. Needs a new windsheild. KBB says its work 8,100 - 9,000 in "fair" condition, and the most it could be worth is 11,000 - 12,000. With repairs ranging 5,000 - 8,400 does anyone think its worth putting that kind of money into it. It will show an accident on car fax. Any tips would be great! My guess is that there might be someone who will pay 12,000 for a 2008 WRX with a brand new motor and the body being fixed up.

How many miles on it? You'll be hard pressed to get 12Gs for a fixed car with an accident history, but it depends on mileage and what other maintenance has been done. 

You might be better off to look into a JDM used engine. They're generally less expensive than a rebuilt.  

get another opinion - post your city in a new thread asking for a shop recommendation. maybe there's a cracked ring land and the heads are OK? you need precise info to decide how to proceed.

If you still like the car and it meets your needs - fix it and drive it until the wheels fall-off.

If you're ready for a new ride - consider parting yours out or sell it to someone for a project.

basically, either bail-out, or buck-up.

The most common issue we see in that engine with the problem you're describing is cracked ring lands on the pistons.  This is most frequently caused by running too rich.  Over revving can also affect it.

Have you ever had the screen filters for the cam phasers cleaned or changed? What kind of oil are you using? How often have you been changing it?  Do you have the factory turbo or a bigger one?

Why didn't they do a compression check on all 4 cylinders since you've had misfires on all of them? 

Aside, from all the questions, yeah...you need at least a new shortblock which is what Motion Labs is offering.

Emily

Thank you everyone for your feedback! To answer a few of your questions that I know. 104,000 miles on the vehicle. I don't owe any money on the car. I do have the title. I don't know why they didn't do a compression test on all cylinders. I did call a local shop here in ABQ NM and they said to do a valve job or a piston job that i'm looking around 5,000 to fix. If I was to fix it I'd drop a new motor in it. I don't think many people will buy it for more then a few thousand when they are aware that it needs engine repair. One good idea was sell it in its current condition to someone who wants a project. If I could sell it for more then 12,000 it probably would be worth it. I bought the car used from a dealer in town (first mistake) so I don't know the modifications made to it, if any. The only work I've done on it are oil changes and new spark plugs. I am ignorant when it comes to vehicles. I specialize in computer and cell phone technology. Its basically turning into a money pit. Probably would be best to call it a loss and get something new and more reliable w/ a full warranty on it. I don't race, I just commute and travel.

Edited by irbytay

To quote One Lucky Texan's earlier post................get another opinion - post your city in a new thread asking for a shop
recommendation. maybe there's a cracked ring land and the heads are OK?
you need precise info to decide how to proceed.

Subaru engines are unique. You need to find someone, or a shop, that knows how to work on a Subaru. A shop working on Fords and Chevys all day, is not where you want to go.

The shop quoting around $5,000 to do a valve and piston job seems awfully expensive.

buying a used car is always risky - risk goes up by a factor of ten if that car is a fairly inexpensive sports car.

Those have often already been mistreated by 'kids'. yes, there can be exceptions (I'm probably one - how many 61 year-olds drive WRXs ?) but, the risk is real.

honestly, parting it out or just getting away from it some how may be your best move. You might also consider donating it to a vocational school or even a 'cars for Kids' or similar charity and take a tax deduction.