Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I posted a few days ago about my car that won't pass safety. We're looking at a few used models online and since I've always gotten good advice on here I'm wondering what people's opinions on the five were looking at are, if there's any to avoid or a gem or two in there. I haven't seen any in person but the pictures online don't show any noticeable damages or rust and all are wagons/crossover. A couple have been brought up from the States in the past, if that makes a difference.

-2009 Tribeca (216,000 km), $10,995 (dealer)

-2008 Outback 2.5i (205,000 km), $8,995 (dealer) (American)

-2005 Outback 2.5XT Wagon (230,000 km), $6,000 (private) (American; turbo and timing belt replaced at 160k; $3k of work done in 2014 with receipts)

-2004 Impreza (194,000 km), $3,000 (private) (Timing belt replaced at 150k)

-2004 Impreza (192,000 km), $3,500 (private)

We're a family of three, mostly short in city trips with the occassional long distance trip a few times a year. Thank you in advance!

My mom has a 09' tribeca, It gets like 16/17 mpg city driving, just be aware of that. does have lots of room with 7 seats, though rear most seats are kinda cramped...

Outbacks tend to be nicer cars to ride in, and more of a "family" car then the imprezas. Though the imprezas are perfectly good cars. 

Not exactly sure about your location, but here in North East US, rust is a huge factor on all subies. Can easily make or break a car's value.

DO NOT buy the XT - turbo engines are not recommended.

The Tribeca has the 3.0 or 3.6 H6 engine...may be better than a 2.5 but as noted, MPG in town won't be good.

All of the rest will have potential HG repairs looming - unless you can get verifiable proof they were done.

GL,

Td

Right now we're driving a 2001 Subaru Legacy L, have been for three years now and I really enjoy the car. The offspring is four.

Even though it is the most, something about the Tribeca catches my eye but I've heard almost nothing about it before starting my search. I'll have to check into the fuel thing, doin't really feel like spending an extra $0.20/litre!

I've been reading up on the HG issues, of which I only knew of in more general terms. I'm happy we've neve rhad an issue, potentially the previous owner had the work done.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

No luck so far, the wife is being a bit pickey and vetoed the older models, a couple no replies and she read an article about the head gaskets (which she was horrified to find out included our 2001). Now I'm looking at a 2010 Outback with 190,000km on it and has had the timing belt replaced at 100,000km. The pictures look good so I'm talking with the owner to take a look at it. It's fairly high kilometerage for the year but the only way we could afford one that new.

I would not worry about your 2001 head gaskets that much. If they leak, it results in a small amount of coolant dripping to the pavement. Subaru offers a coolant conditioner to treat the potential head gasket problem of 2001. Recommend you add it to your coolant, if you have not done so. It is good insurance against minor coolant leaks.

I would not worry about your 2001 head gaskets that much. 

NO offense, as I'm not a mechanic, but I wouldn't trust any Subaru 2.5 head gasket older than about 2010 (EJ-series). If you've made it past 150K miles yours may have been done.

The HG do not fail catastrophically and leave you stranded (usually). You'll have time to monitor and plan for the repair ($1500+ USD).

GL,

TD

Edited by wtdash

Thanks for this topic, potter2010.  I too am considering just replacing my '88 Loyale for a minute, as it recently developed some mysterious engine problem... (to keep it short), and am looking on here for ideas, recommendations, thoughts. May need to post my own search, though, as to not interfere with yours! 

• Like 1

What were you driving or what are you driving now? How old is the offspring?

not sure, but the Tribeca with the 6cyl 'may' also need premium fuel.

If it has the 3.0 then it is supposed to have the 91 octane (in the states) where as if it has the 3.6 you can run regular 87 (in the states). And I say can as that's the recommended fuel by subaru not can as in you can for 50k miles.

Edited by golucky66

Thanks for this topic, potter2010.  I too am considering just replacing my '88 Loyale for a minute, as it recently developed some mysterious engine problem... (to keep it short), and am looking on here for ideas, recommendations, thoughts. May need to post my own search, though, as to not interfere with yours! 

No problem, but all the advice is coming from the great members of this forum.

Thanks everyone.

With regards to our 2001, we bought it fairly cheap with 210,000km on it and now leaks about a litre of coolant a year. I wasn't really sure where it was coming from but with the comments here I'm guessing it's the head gaskets. Monday we're checking out the 2010 Outback I mentioned so the head gaskets are less of a worry. It's high kilometre but that makes it affordable. I'll ask what other work was done at the same time as the timing belt as The Dude mentioned.

That's too bad about the Tribeca though, looks nice but I figured there must be a reason why they don't make them anymore. Thanks for the heads up!

How is the coolant conditioner that Rooster2 mentions? Some people have said it's great but I've read other places that it's not recommended.