Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 Subaru GL

Just picked up this GL off a friend, cause I have always wanted one. It has 231k miles on the odometer. Just would like some advice on what to check out first as far as fluids, spark plugs, ect. Also passenger rear CV axle is broken and needs replaced, and the 4WD says it engages but doesn't actually work. Any thoughts on that would be nice. Located right now in Battle Ground but will be moving up near Tacoma soon. I am very excited to have a fun little wheeler. I have a set of 6 lug Toyota wheels I'm going to re drill for the God awful bolt pattern. Not sure on how lifted it is but plan on throwing some general grabbers on it. Any advice on the size would be awesome as well. Thank you again.

post-61450-0-14449100-1452816542_thumb.jpg

post-61450-0-76133200-1452816561_thumb.jpg

post-61450-0-66081800-1452816573_thumb.jpg

post-61450-0-74214900-1452816585_thumb.jpg

post-61450-0-64587300-1452816600_thumb.jpg

post-61450-0-16530200-1452816609_thumb.jpg

I beilve the plugs and oil and the oil filter were changed when the friend I got it from picked it up. That being said I will check the oil to see how dirty it looks for now. And yes, it has strut spacers just not sure how tall. As far as transmissions go its a 5 speed Manuel. Not sure if it's the stock one or not. It came with a spare one that needs rebuilt. Not sure if that was the stock one. Also what engine does mine have? The ea81/82? Thanks for the info so far. I'm excited to get this thing where I want it.

In my loyale the 4wd was engaged via vacuum. There was a thin line that ran from intake area to the passenger side firewall. Once or twice it just popped apart at a linkage between motor and firewall. Then 4wd wont engage. Re-connect the line and the 4wd comes back. If your lucky, that could be your problem. The intake has obviously been minimized so I'm not sure what to look for on your car but I'd start looking at some of those that run under the bar that supports the spare tire. Sweet rig. 

An '85 would have the D/R 5-speed trans.

Look at the passenger side of the trans, towards the top of it, above the axle. There should be a shift rod attached to an arm on the trans. That is the D/R shifting arm for low/Hi ranges.

If that isn't there, you have the Loyale's single range 5-speed.

I have a pic of both side by side, but I can't post pics on here.

I have an 85 gl wagon that I am about to start working on. I would like to get wheel spacers to allow me to change the wheels out to a 15" and some all terrain tires. I would also like to get some strut or spring spacers in order to get a little more cheap lift. I am looking for a steel bumper / bull bar as well. I do not know much about what parts to get or where to get parts and want to be sure I get compatible stuff for the Subaru. and thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.