Hey there, first post! I searched for some answers on this but came 

up short, so if someone could point me in the right direction I would

appreciate it. 

I recently picked up a 1985 GL Hatchback. I am not a super gear head but

I know my general way around a car and I am even better with vintage 

motorcycles. 

My question is, I cannot not determine with the VIN if my GL is a 1.8 SOHC or

a 1.8 OHV. I am sure there may be a way to visually tell but I cant be certain 

since this is my first Subaru and I have never had a car with OHV. 

Also how does the engine type effect certain parts? Are most parts inter-changeable

between the 2?

Thank you! 

Also the EA81 OHV 1800 has steel (black usually) rocker covers and distributor at front in middle offset to right.

The EA82 SOHC 1800 has alloy cam / valve covers in similar alloy to the rest of the engine as well as the black plastic timing belts

cover at front of the engine as previously mentioned and distributor at left rear head of engine.

They are 2 completely different engines (ie different blocks / heads) apart from sharing the same bore and stroke.

Not sure of parts interchangibility as never tried doing this.  I imagine that they are similar apart from engines.

The EA82 SOHC is far superior ie more free revving / smoother engine with more power than the clatterly older OHV EA81

Still have a soft spot for its simplicity (EA81) as it is almost maintenance free ie no silly cam belts etc to replace like on EA82.

Have owned two examples of both and liked both for their strengths / weaknesses - still have Brat / Brumby (EA81) :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EA_engine

Edited by subnz

All good info above. The big tell would be the distributor location. Easiest to see without looking very deep.

Ive had ea81, and 82's myself. I like the set and forget of the injected 82motors, especially for a daily driver. Tho for tractor torque, and being nearly bulletproof, you cant beat the hammer simple 81 motors

All good info above. The big tell would be the distributor location. Easiest to see without looking very deep.

Ive had ea81, and 82's myself. I like the set and forget of the injected 82motors, especially for a daily driver. Tho for tractor torque, and being nearly bulletproof, you cant beat the hammer simple 81 motors

totally agree EA81  old school  torquer  ie pulls strongly from 2500rpm but runs out of breath at 4000rpm

whereas   EA82 more of a revver  ie doesn't start happening til 3000rpm thru to 4500rpm where it slows up