Ultimate Subaru Message Board

k&n filters?

i was thinking about getting a new k&n filter for my 90 loyale. i heard they are good and they might improve performance, but i was wondering if there is any way to hook up one of there high performance intakes on a older model subaru. thanks.

Theres no bolt on "performance intakes" for an EA82.. well.. except the one from www.subspeed.com

Most of us just get creative.. try to find a pic os Skip's air intake its cooler than mine..

You can also just get a cone filter adapter for a Nissan from Autozone

and do something like this.. Notice I removed the airbox altogether.

http://usmb.net/albums/albuo11/picture_008.jpg

K&N does make a straight drop in replacement for the stock filter as well I believe.

i would say go for the cone filter. however with my experience i would suggest doing one of the following:

-get some intake tubing and run it into your fender well and put the filter there

-or, leave the filter in the engine bay. use a cone filter with a heat sheild on it. it has a opening at the top. you can buy snorkle hoses that attach to it so you can run it toward a "cool" spot on you car.

dd_1.JPG

here's an example, sorry it's an ugly color

personally I like the drop in filter and remove the silecer in the fender trick. I also open the hole to Fresh air up a bit.

not saying that cone filters are not a good thing as I do have one on my truck due to the limited space I had avl.

make sure to get a quality unit. the shady ones can let dirt thru and worst case ruin a motor. yes I have seen this. it was a foam unit with really large pores for better "flow".

dd_1.JPG

I've always liked the design of these type of air filters. I just always wondered about how much it flows since the surface area of the filter seems small. If I could find a shield for the bigger K&N air filters (You know, the ones that are rectangularish with the opening at the top that's filtered as well), I'd be happy. This is for a totally different application though.

go buy the biggest cone drop in filter for a diesel you can find, then cut out a piece of sheet metal to mount it to the maf, i guess there are adapters, that work. bigger is better, you can hear you intake, and it flows alot more.

the airbox mod works too, you can just drill holes in the bottom of the box. for more air, then use a drop in.

im workin on a snorkel with 2 inch piping right now for my hatch.