Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale: installing aircon control from 85-87 into 87-

I know this sounds like a weird topic, but hear me out.

I'm doing a restoration with period accessories on my 88 touring wagon. It's going to end up with the checkered seats, etc + black trim from the 85-87 RX turbo.

20 years ago I installed a turbo engine, etc from an 85 JDM halfcut. I ended up crashing that car and a mate bought it from the auction & still has lots of the bits, including the climate control aircon.

This was a dealer fit option & so it has an extra wiring loom which plugs into the original aircon plugs.

Basically, it replaces the standard heater control panel which it's 5 buttons and lever with a push button panel.

Also the fan control switch is removed and a dial with a digital readout just above (where the dash light panel is).

For our models, the A/C switch & re-circ button on the other side of the cluster are replaced with blanking plates.

My thoughts are to install this stuff into my series 2 dashboard.

The heater control panel is easy, the "recirculating" button is where the temp control dial needs to go.

The problem is that the series 2 moved the wiper control onto a column stalk and the fan control switch moved to where the wipers are on the series 1.

Any ideas what to put in it's place? I've seen a picture and Subaru simply put a blanking plate in, which looks garbage. I've got every other blanking plate filled (except the manual choke position).

Would it be possible to install a 2nd hazard switch? Always seemed stupid to me that it's way over near the door. Too bad if the passenger needs to push it :P

the other hassle is that the LCD digital temp readout is in orange to suit the early model dash. Would it be possible to change this to green?