Ultimate Subaru Message Board

do we have rev limiters that we don't know about?

If you were to install the SPFI ea 82 stuff on an ea 81 you would have a rev limiter. It simply shuts down at 7500 rpm.

That's valve float  :lol:

AFAIK, EA82 SPFI don't have rev limiters either.

Either way, the valvetrain is the weak link, and while valve float isn't exactly good for anything, it's not terrible either. Let 'er buck.

If you really do think you need something, there are aftermarket ignition systems that are designed primarily for carbed V8s that could probably be adapted to an EA81 and programmed to cut the ignition at a certain rpm.

• Like 1

Well, there is that:0

ea 82. Do a full tune up and put the highest octane fuel in it available to you. When you've got a full tank of the higher octane fuel in it, go full advance on the distributor.

Rev it until it simply shuts down while in gear. I't like you have a switch that's been flipped to off.

Well, there is that:0

ea 82. Do a full tune up and put the highest octane fuel in it available to you. When you've got a full tank of the higher octane fuel in it, go full advance on the distributor.

Rev it until it simply shuts down while in gear. I't like you have a switch that's been flipped to off.

I was mostly joking. I've never had an EA82 that could get to 7500, and tried on a regular basis. My EA82s would float somewhere between 6800-7200. Seems strange to me that they would print a 6250 or 6500 red line on the gauge, but program something at 7500.

okay cool because i'm pretty sure it spits a sh** ton of flames hahaha!!! but you cant see them because of the catalytic converter or something, i could be wrong. Plus it is straight piped in between the catalytic converter and muffler, and theres an electric cut out right there!!!  ;)  :lol:  B)  Do we have an anti backfire system on the EA81 engines like on the EA82? Or is there a way to make some wicked flames without engine damage?

Edited by jdgmbi1

most CDI ignition module boxes have rev limiters can be wired to ea81 and ea82 ignition systems. they are universal and get wired "in series" with the coil. accel, msd, mallory, to name a few. i use one on all my ea82's with excellent results, more consistent plug burn times and multiple spark below 2500 rpm (i think). however, i dont think a rev limiter is necessary and never actually hit mine. 

Edited by maozebong

• 3 weeks later...

I've had 3 different SPFI Ea82's up to 8100-8200 rpm where they tapered off into valve float. No rev limiter. One was a 92, one was a 88, and one was a 89.

There's no real point to having a rev-limiter if it's not making power anywhere near to it's max rpm's and there's little likely hood of it being hurt by a momentary over-rev.

A rev limiter Isent needed on a stock ea82 they just can't burn enuff fuel so when the rev limiter dose kick In the motor sputters from the extra unburnt fuel left in the cylinders from the cdi cutting spark on my rig anyway basicly it floods out the cylinders and it takes a few for the motor to clean out causing a big loss in power I think I have mine set at 7500 but even in first gear pinned to the floor say on a hill climb it won't hit the limiter the only time I've ever used a rev limiter as a tool in any roo was when I had the impreza stuck in deep snow I used it all the time in the scout but that's a whole different beast