Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1979 Subaru Brat Gen. 1 GL

A;right yall, I'm a new user, thanks to the providers for havin' this board... Anyways, like I said, I have a 1979 generation 1 mild yellow Subaru Brat GL in what I have found to be PRIMO condition. very little if any rust, truck bed is BEAUTIFUL.. My problem is it has been sitting for years at my Uncles, now I have it and want it running, but you might say I'm mechanically....or at least engine-ly stupid! If any of you have any information on the EA71 engine or the 79 Brat, from brochures to diagrams to troubleshooting, anything.....I would like it tons if yall would help me by sending it to blasterbike519@yahoo.com . I'm certainly not asking for a handout, I have researched it alot....but if any of you can help I would appreciate it alot. Thanks very very much, you guys here are awesome, this is the best place I've found yet. Thanks again, James

P.S. when I say anything I mean it. even suggestions of your own thanks.

Welcome to the board. I myself am another gen 1 owner. I have a 1979 DL 4wd wagon that is probably the same color. Here is the '79 brochure http://usmb.net/gallery/album64. What kind of problems can you see that are wrong with it? Is the oil leaking from anywhere? Usually they will leak from the valve covers on either side of the motor. The gaskets will start to leak and the only thing that I would recommend would be to change the gaskets. I bought a set from the local Subaru dealer for fairly cheap. It will take 2 bolts per valve covers to remove them. Again I welcome you to the board!!

Russ

Change the oil, drain or siphon all the old gas out, and replace the battery. Attempt to start it and watch for leaks or smoking. Shut down engine if any funny noises are detected and go from there.

Buy a copy of How to keep your Subaru alive. Usually 1 on ebay or half.com if you look around.

Factory Service Manuals on eBay,even better-can be found for under $10.You'll want the edition printed October 1978 for your Brat,but having the April '78 or '79 won't hurt in they show up cheap,and sooner than the Oct. '78 edit.

Like Shawn said.....Also check the cables especially the grounds to the engine and body.Vacuum out the voltage regulator gently-it's on the passenger side near the battery/coil.Spray the alternator with some contact cleaner.

I say do the best you can with the carb and gas.Spray some ether in there,don't pump the pedal,and see how it turns.If it doesn't kick over pump the pedal twice-hold off on the ether,and turn the key again.

I haven't heard people mention Seafoam lately but some folks used to say that was THE stuff to use for cleaning the old carbs out.MMO works too.

Where are you located?

Main thing is keep the body clean underside and remove the bottom bolts of the fenders and clean out the crap that builds up in there.Gas tank filler tube area is usually a catch spot for dirt/rust too.Rear skirt-under the rear bumper-check that too.

Brakes will need some attention,Wheel cylinders are cheap on eBay or even at some stores still.Rotors also on eBay.

Might want to spray some PBblaster on the spark plugs beforehand and remove them,check the condition,clean-or replace.Remove the distributor cap and clean up the contacts with a light sandpaper-like 220-400 grit.

These are true workhorses-the 1600 Brats.I say cherish it-or let me know when you want to sell it.:brow:

when i got mine it was running rough... i just replaced the filter, dizzy cap, rotor, spark plugs, spark plug leads and then reset the timing and it purred like a kitten...

and since it was sitting for a long time do what the other guys said... oil change, new gas, and clean the carb...

my carb still doesn't run right... :o

good luck!