Ultimate Subaru Message Board

H6 into an EA82 body

Rust

Yes and is a really Bad idea. Unless you want to upgrade Brakes, Suspension, etc... and make room for a Radiator; besides other many things. You can See photos and read further info, here: 

~► www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122165-ea82-to-er27-swap/

However, others succeeded with that idea; such like this EA82 coupe with six cylinder subaru engine swap in Russia, video here:

~► https://www.facebook.com/100004138294409/videos/576652559149349/

Kind Regards.

Yes and is a really Bad idea. Unless you want to upgrade Brakes, Suspension, etc... and make room for a Radiator; besides other many things. You can See photos and read further info, here: 

~► www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122165-ea82-to-er27-swap/

However, others succeeded with that idea; such like this EA82 coupe with six cylinder subaru engine swap in Russia, video here:

~► https://www.facebook.com/100004138294409/videos/576652559149349/

Kind Regards.

Totally agree why would you want to do this?

Easier to buy a car with the H6 fitted that it was designed for.

I disagree. H6 swap cars are a blast. Peak power isn't as much as many turbo setups, but the torque curve is addictive. Turbos add a definite level of complexity to a car, and typically that reduces the reliability. "There's no replacement for displacement" is definitely true, and while I think that 7 or 8 litres is certainly overkill, but ~3 is perfect.

The ER27 is probably more work than it's worth. It's almost as long as an EG33, has a 3rd motor mount to the lower radiator support, and doesn't have much more power than a decent EJ. I've seen a couple ER27 into EA81 swaps. ER27 ECUs are mounted in the trunk, so while the electrical functionality isn't actually more complicated, having several feet more wire to deal with can add it's own challenges.

An EG33 is a fantastic engine. An EG-swapped GC impreza will out run a GD STi in a straight line, and an EA82 chassis is even lighter. No, it's not an easy swap, but it's doable. As with any swap that increases the power by 2-2.5 times, you will probably want to do some suspension and brake upgrades, but those aren't terribly difficult. You'll probably want an EJ AWD transmission, which requires a little work, but also completely doable. The EG33 is more than a little bit bigger than an EA82, so you'll have to move the radiator forward. That's easier on an EJ car, as you have a fairly large, plastic bumper that you can hide stuff behind, but again, doable. Probably would require a shorter and thicker radiator.

An EZ30/36 would be the easiest swap, mechanically, but the most expensive. As it's not much bigger than an EJ. I bet it could be done with the stock EA82 radiator, in it's stock mounts, and pusher fans. '01-'04 EZ30s are extremely reliable (comparable to an EJ22e), and IIRC the wiring is simpler than almost any EJ turbo setup....

'05+ EZs have an immobilizer system. So in order to use one of those engines, you'll have to go standalone management, which will add significant cost.

• Like 1

Yes, while the Subaru ER27 engine swap is a bad idea because it doesn't woth the effort, the Subaru EG / EZ engines swap is great, but might be very Expensive to be well done, because it needs the EJ transmission to be reliable...

Some months ago, I shared this at the Legendary "Strange & Weird Subaru Stuff" Thread:

My friend from Russia, Ruslan Halitov (Russell-555) shared this photos of an impressive Subaru Leone Coupe, with a Six cylinder engine Swap, that came out from a Subaru SVX; it accelerates abruptly Fast with manual transmission, I have a Video also...

Six%20Cylinder%20Coupe%20-%20Ruslan%20Ha

Thank you Ruslan! ... Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

EG33's and EZ's have been installed into XT6's which are based on an EA82 XT.  

EA82's have less forward clearance, that's the only major issue right?  Move radiator, remove/move A/C.  

very little side clearance too so do the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs before installing.