Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea lift sway bars

What do you guys do for sway bars on the ea cars? I want to be able to hoon around some still after I install the 5" lift, and I remember some people talking about 3 wheeling just driving on the off ramps when they're lifted this much

I was thinking I could weld on some hrew/dom onto a cut down front sway bar, and thread a heim into that, with some rod style links (I know heims are supposed to mount vertical, but I don't think there is enough force to break one on these cars in this application)

For the rear I was thinking finding a basic sway bar shaped like this:

2281r_install.jpg

And then mounting it on the rear lit blocks, with the same style linkage to some custom mounts on the " a arms" of the ea suspension (most likely a plate welded to the 2 trailing arms, and then a hole/nut or a heim mounting tab.

Was also debating trying to fab one onto the torsion beam, but don't know how it would respond to the heat, and the added twisting.

This is all on a car that will have a frame built for it from 2x2x.25, like 88hatch has on his, but with more mount points, along with 2x5x.1875 rock sliders/rocker panels that will be tied into the frame (doing boatsides with HDPE plastic), so I think it could take the extra stress

My hatch is lifted 9" running with no sway bars without any problems(6" body and 3" from tires, eventually getting 31's so that will go up to 10"). It rides better than most lifted rigs with the new shocks and struts with v6 tempo springs. My handling increased majorly when i put in the front struts and tempo springs. If you even get it going on 3 wheels your probably going to flip it so slow down on corners or take them more gradual it's obviously not a wrx(or a sports car). If you have to get a rear sway bar one off a ea82t would work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yeah but the point is to have a stiff rear end sway bar so that if you goose it, it can break loose and understeer less. 

go with a 3pc sway bar, they have fancy unlocking ones for jeeps that could be adapted if youre creative. 

https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/currie-antirock-kits-jeep/currie-ce-9900-antirock-front-sway-bar-kit-jeep-tj/?gclid=CMT34uPt5MoCFYNsfgodff0CdQ

and if youre on 3 wheels in a lifted subaru, youre probably going to kill yourself. the rears have several inches of drop before lifting a tire. 

Edited by maozebong

• 2 weeks later...