Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i would like to install power steering on my brat

hi all..i would like to install power steering on my brat once i get a lift kit..

i know it may sound wimpy to install power steering(no offense...but when i mentioned about this to my friend, thats what he called me) im getting used to not having power steering and i found it to be work out..hehe...but once (hopefully real soon) i buy the lift kit and install them...i dont know how hard would it for me to drive the beast...soo i was wondering where i can start with power steering...im not sure if there is power steering made for ea-81 and if there is, i was wondering if i need any mod to put it in... if they didnt make for ea-81 what kind of mod do i need to install power steering from later models

thanks again for advices in advance.

Dan

They did make an ea81 car with PS.

To add it, your engine has to have the passenger side head with a spot to bolt the pump bracket on. After that you need the pump, bracket, thermostat housing that sticks out different to clear the pump, PS hoses, PS rack, and an engine crossmember equipped for PS (holes thru it).

I don't think you are a wuss. With big high tread tires on, the Brat is going to turn a lot harder from a parked state.

i've got almost everything you need if you want to go for it.

I parted an '83 GL-10 sedan and have everything from the engine compartment.i might not have the crossmember,but the rest is there.You can have it all for $30 plus shipping.Email me if interested.

Yep - you need the engine cross-member from a PS equiped car if you are looking for a bolt-on. A regular cross-member might be modified to work, but I'm not the one to ask on that account - ask Mudrat - he might know.

*edit* Mudrats says no - can't do it (well - not easily anyway).

GD