Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium - gas mileage issues

I recently purchased a 2015 Subaru Legacy with 7,000 miles and driven by a sales manager at the dealership.  I have driven the car about 2,800 miles (about 1/2 highway and 1/2 local) and am not getting anywhere near the stated mileage.  My commute for work is about 2 miles each way and is not stop and go (I go about 25 to 45 miles per hour on a main road).  Highway, I keep it between 65 and 72 mph.  My city MPG is about 18 to 22 and my highway is between 25 and 28.  Advertised mileage is 26 mpg city and 36 highway.  I'm just not getting anywhere close to this.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

I have the car currently into the dealership, but they don't seem too interested in looking for any problems since there is no check engine light on.

If you're drive to work is only 2 miles (if that's not a type) and that's primarily the only time you drive it, then yes, of course it will never get near the stated mileage. The car will never be fully warmed up and operating under ideal conditions with only 2 miles worth of driving.

As for in general, rarely do I see a car that actually gets the mileage that is on the door. This is because when they test it, it's under "ideal" conditions. So perfect temperature, perfect tires/frictions between road etc etc.

I just went here ( https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml ) for the official way that they test mileage (not how the manufacturer tests) and from quickly reading through, it says that they simulate typical conditions. Which will never ever be the same as driving on route 91 etc. 

My mother's 08' Tribeca gets driven from and to work everyday ~6 miles. And it's not a lot of stop and go or anything abnormal conditions (like NYC) and she only gets ~18 mpg during the summer and ~ 16 in the winter. Rating is around 20 combined. Not as extreme but she drives longer then you

In my opinion, if you're commute is only 2 miles and you're getting ~6-10 MPG less then rated, I wouldn't consider that abnormal as the car is never at it's ideal temperature for a long enough period of time. Keep in mind, until the engine reaches optional temperature extra energy (fuel) is being consumed to get the car to ideal temperature. Not only that but the newer cars do a bunch of things to help the car warm up quicker, for example, my mothers 08' Tribeca won't up shift until about 2.5-3k RPM when it's cold even if you're off the throttle.

Last but not least. In general terms. The biggest impact on fuel economy is you're right foot. I drive my 96' Impreza hard and I get around 19 in the winter and 22 in the summer. I could easily get 26-28 if I drove like a Prius.

Best of luck to you! Hope my two cents were helpful

• Like 2

I have been experimenting with my 2010 Forester a lot and I came up to an ideal driving conditions (at least for my car).

The highest speed on the highway must be 65 mph.  This is critical to get a good mpg.  I get 30+ miles per gallon using this tactic even with my wife in the passenger seat (more wait).

The highest fuel consumption is in a stop-and-go traffic.  20 miles per gallon is sometimes considered to be a very good number.

Sam

Short commute and winter temps, I think you are lucky to get what you are getting.  I have a 2014 Legacy 2.5 and I live much further south than you do.  In winter, especially during the cold spells I am lucky to see 27 mpg, and I typically drive at least 10 miles when I start it up, sometimes much more and usually half of it is on the highway.  In summer with the air on, I usually get around 31.  I almost never get the rated highway mileage on a road trip.  Sometimes I will on a segment, but on most road trips, I am traveling at a much higher speed than the EPA testing was done at.

Edit: On road trips to southern California, my city driving will drop to around 18 because the traffic lights are programmed for maximum impeding of traffic flow, and when visiting there, I typically only drive for two or three miles at a time.

Edited by keith3267