Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Subaru's problems..( I am a newbie to this site and not sure I am in the right place to ask questions)

I have a 1999 Subaru Forrester with 148,000 miles on it.. I inherited it from my mom 6yrs ago when she was no longer able to drive due to her Alzheimer's. My mom kept it in terrific condition. My problem is that there is a leak of redish fluid on the front right side of motor...dripping out. Now, I was told by the guy who changes my oil at 10 minute lube, that it could be my differential since my Subaru is an all-wheel-drive. I have googled the Subaru differential, and to me it doesn't sound like it's the differential! LOL. So what I am asking is do you have any idea what that could be? I am a disabled senior, 64 years old.

Hello Toni and welcome to the site. From what you describe the most likely sources would be the power steering fluid (which would be the front right or passenger side). If it has an automatic transmission it could also be a leak of the ATF or automatic transmission fluid. Those would be the only two red fluids that vehicle would normally have.

The power steering reservoir has a cap under the hood that can be checked to see if it's low. The quick lube should be able to check it if you're not able. If it's the power steering maybe they can see if they can tell where it seems to be leaking from. The older style 90's power steering pumps had an o-ring under the reservoir that liked to leak with age.

Also - if the power steering reservoir is low - it actually takes automatic transmission fluid. Subaru's of that era did not and do not use 'power steering fluid'.

Edited by porcupine73

I agree with porcupine73. However, I will add my 2 cents of opinion. If you cannot actually see exactly where the leak originates from, then, you might want to get a $3.50 can of engine de-greaser/cleaner spray. And spray the power steering pump as well as the lines and anything nearby (except the alternator, which you might want to cover with a plastic bag to keep degreaser OUT of it) it there is fluid all over it and the power steering lines, this will enable you to then let it soak five minutes, and rinse the cleaner and old fluid off with a quart or two of warm or hot tap water, which will make finding the actual point of the leak much easier than if everything has dirt and fluid all over it obscuring a clear view of the actual problem area. And then add fluid if the reservoir almost dry, though maybe not fill it fully, as you are simply looking for the leak, and do not want excess fluid that may leak if you need to remove a line to repair it. Maybe start the engine and observe the pump area for a leak,with everything clean, and try to see if it is a fluid line, or the pump itself. You may need to move the steering wheel left and right to build
pressure to see the leak, and an assistant would be best as you look for
the leak.The power steering pump has 2 different fluid lines going into and out of it, as well as a gasket on the bottom of the reservoir.

These rubber lines can dry up and shrink, causing a leak, or they can also crack. You may be able to slightly tighten the metal (pressure) power steering line that screws into the pump, if that is where the leak originates. or if it is the other line (return), it is simply held on with

a basic clamp that can be loosened with a pliers. Then, the small length (less than a foot) of power steering line can be replaced with a new section which may only cost 5-6 dollars a foot.

If the pump and lines are not the culprit, you might have a leaking inner front axle seal at the front differential. The seal itself is ten dollars or less. But actually replacing it takes hours of work, and takes more skill, and jacking up the car etc.,

to replace that front differential seal. That however, is just in back of the engine.But on both the right and left sides, and usually only one will leak at a time.

To find a leak it is sometimes much easier to de grease and clean a grimy dusty oily covered area first, and then to pinpoint the actual leak. Sometimes the leak can be spotted without first de-greasing though.

Edited by bakedpotatoechips99