Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am looking for a possible fix for my stupidity. While putting a new timing belt on a 98 2.2, I stripped the bolt on the bottom timing belt roller. Drilling and tapping it to a 12x1.25 would be easy, but then drilling the roller out would be tricky but doable. Or should I put a helicoil in it to keep it a 10x1.25?

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Which idler? The smooth one or the toothed one?

The toothed one bolts to the water pump so you can just replace the pump.

The smooth one, heli-coil it. Depending on the length of the inserts, you may need to install two inserts so you have plenty of thread engaged in the aluminum to prevent the insert from pulling out of the block.

i've used longer bolts on timing belt pulleys before, but i can't remember if that was EJ, EA, or ER engines.  you can check ahead of time by comparing the length of the bolt (minus the portion that goes through the pulley) to the depth of the hole by inserting a screw driver down there.  see how much extra room you got. 

1. chase the threads with a tap to clean them up

2.  install a longer bolt that will reach unused clean threads in the bottom of the bolt hole.

or yeah - just helicoil them.  they can be done in place with right angle drills/attachments.

put on goggles, place a drill bit in a vice and swing as fast as you can with a heavy hammer - it'll shear the drill bit in half - which may bounce off of 12 different things if you're not prepared for it.  this shortens the bit so you can use it in tight places.