Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wanting to upgrade my wheels and tires.

classifieds on the Forums - post a WTB (want to buy) someone may have some wheels laying around. (here, subaruoutback.org, NASIOC, etc.)

you will need to confirm a few things for maximum possibility of problem-free driving - what size tire can you run with no rubbing or brake caliper interference, what wheel size that mounts to, can you find a good looking wheel that size that has the correct offset, is hub centric and is the right bolt pattern.

I wish I knew specifics about a 97, but likely someone here will.

there 'may' be a thread over at NASIOC called "what wheels fit my car" or similar.

Also, tirerack.com and I think also Discount Tire , have online shopping systems that allow folks to load a picture of their car model, then 'try on' pictures of different rims. That might be fun.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

The largest tire that will fit w/o rubbing or rolling fenders is 225/45/17. Keep the wheel offset from 48 -55 deg.

Caveat; they will not give you great traction in snow.

If possible, use your std wheels for a dedicated snow tire and either an all season for the 17 or a three season tire.

The ride is good.

See:ttp://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

O.

• Like 2

7" rim. Though you could use a 7 1/2

What I found is that you have to play with the pressures to get the ride you want. Forget 30/32. Way too soft and lets the sidewall flex too much in aggressive cornering.

I now have Continental Contact All Seasons, and have had Bridgestone KDW. I wound up with 38/36. Used Blizzak for winter  on  16" rims and use 34/32

O.

Edited by ocei77