Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92' Loyale with a few kinks?

A few months ago i purchased a 92 loyale from a kid who had gotten it from a family friend (88yr old Grandma) who babied it & was probly garage kept LIKE NEW,a fender had been replaced, im assuming Gma did quite make the garage...lol..  He had it for a lil over a yr when he tried to drive thru a high area of water  & ever since it had been blowing white smoke.  His mechanic said it was the transmission. It had 130k on it so we assumed it was the headgaskets or both, so I was able to get the car for $300.  

My buddy is a Subaru Tech but never worked on the older generation soob, so we replaced everything (Gaskets from the Heads up,cam seals, oil pump, fuel filter,timing kit, ect.)  no valve job or valve seals replaced).  We did all this & checked everything & it ran & then smoked.  shortly after i drove it the smoking stopped for a few days,it smoked when i turned left or right.  thats when i looked it up & found this site & found that i was burning AT fluid & tracked it to the Vacuum Diaphram on the side of three 3 speed trans.  it had no fluid when i bought it  we had only added a lil & forgot to put more in it somehow with all the other work we were doing.  it was about $600 in parts & $600 to my buddy for the work, i helped with most all of it.

As soon as we replaced that valve the smoking stopped after 2 min.  we checked all the fluids & its been running really well ever since. so i might have dropped $1200 for something that could have only spent $50 on.

I have tho noticed i have a lifter tick & it accelerates well isnt shifty but when i get up to 55 it wants to huver there for too long i feel . atleast a mile or so down a straight highway.  The gas peddle wont do anything when i feather it or press way down.  when i do manage to get it to do something it revs to almost 5k for maybe 1-3 seconds & wont hold rpm?  It seems like once it gets about 60mph i sorta feel like something kicks in & the peddle responds.  i feel like it could be a vacuum thing.  We've checked & replace like every hose or vacuum lines.  when im in traffic & everyone is getting on & off exists going 55 & not having to get up to speed fairly fast everything responds well.  i just know something is a lil off & trying track it down.  i know its a slow car & i'm not trying to get anywhere that quick but .  other than all that its doing great & looking forward to lifting it & turning it into my adventure vehicle.      

thx,

chris

post-61055-0-28125700-1454514951_thumb.jpg

post-61055-0-61656800-1454514973_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Killer score! The lifter tick is normal... it is the lifter tick of death... every ea 82 does it many people say it does and as well my owners manual states that it does it lol they say it will do this until it builds oil pressure... mine does it on warm up fly down the freeway up Hill down hill sometimes all day and other days not at all no matter the season lol

And I myself have the same weird acceleration on my 5spd especially going up Hill if I let up a little from half throttle it seems to pull more.. other than when the jam comes I'm lucky to have a manual and drop back a gear

• Like 1

Killer score! The lifter tick is normal... it is the lifter tick of death... every ea 82 does it many people say it does and as well my owners manual states that it does it lol they say it will do this until it builds oil pressure... mine does it on warm up fly down the freeway up Hill down hill sometimes all day and other days not at all no matter the season lol

And I myself have the same weird acceleration on my 5spd especially going up Hill if I let up a little from half throttle it seems to pull more.. other than when the jam comes I'm lucky to have a manual and drop back a gear

THX..Ya Dude....i dont think I could get a better deal/ situation than what i fell into & it was only by chance that by buddy said "Hey, you should buy this.  It made sense after moving to Colorado & your best friend being a Certified Subaru Tech.  Ive been bumming rides for awhile & it was that time.  i have a beater truck in Indiana & a 76 CJ-7 Jeep that needs a lil more work that i'm wanting to get rid of to throw some serious $$ into the Loyale.  I've played with the idea of getting a Lifted Cherokee & selling the others.  I need & want the cargo room.  Every A-hole out here in Colorado has a Jeep.  NoOne has a Loyale Lifted & very very few @ that.  it seems like most are part of the Washington Club.

i smoke & have smoked in every car ive owned.  this is so clean that i cant bring myself to smoke in it.  Pretty sure I'm in Love with this thing...lol. I was literally crawling into the engine bay to clean everything from the oil on the crossmember up including every part on the engine while it was out.  The Loyale & I have gotten pretty intamate over the last 2-3 months...lol.

Edited by LoyaleWithCheese*
  • Like 1

Yes the first part sounds like the vacuum modulator smoke. 50 $ fix. It would likely have started leaking a lot of oil from the old gaskets by this age and miles, so doing the reseal isn't a total waste.

I'm not entirely sure I follow the discription of the shifting / drivability issue... I've been driving 3AT wagons for many years. Typical on ramp I have it floored or nearly, shifter in 2. Until between 5 to 6 k rpms , then go to D. Normal 4k rpms at 65mph. The EA82 engine doesn't make much power until around 4k.

• Like 1

when i leave the house thru the neighborhood it shifts @ 15mph then @ 35-40mph depending on how much into the gas i am.... by then i go for a short distance & slow down to turn right to get onto the highway.  The Onramp goes downhill.  By the time i get to the merge i'm going 45-50 & get to 55mph shortly after but the speed is 65-70 ...  everyone that comes up behind me has to switch lanes because i'm not speeding up fast enough.  this is about the time that it no longer wants to even budge past 55 (kinda like driving a 20" U-Haul Truck)....& after the gas peddle goes softish is when i try to press it further & it'll grab & go into OVERDRIVE or whatever you want call it.  i got it to hold a lil longer the other day but was sure how far i could take the thing.  before i go uphill a mile later i feel & ever soft difference  & i get play back in the peddle & able to do whatever i want & usually get up to 80 with no issue & then its smooth sailing from there.   there are other places where i drive that i have the same issue?

Yes the first part sounds like the vacuum modulator smoke. 50 $ fix. It would likely have started leaking a lot of oil from the old gaskets by this age and miles, so doing the reseal isn't a total waste.

I'm not entirely sure I follow the discription of the shifting / drivability issue... I've been driving 3AT wagons for many years. Typical on ramp I have it floored or nearly, shifter in 2. Until between 5 to 6 k rpms , then go to D. Normal 4k rpms at 65mph. The EA82 engine doesn't make much power until around 4k.

when i leave the house thru the neighborhood it shifts @ 15mph then @ 35-40mph depending on how much into the gas i am.... by then i go for a short distance & slow down to turn right to get onto the highway.  The Onramp goes downhill.  By the time i get to the merge i'm going 45-50 & get to 55mph shortly after but the speed is 65-70 ...  everyone that comes up behind me has to switch lanes because i'm not speeding up fast enough.  this is about the time that it no longer wants to even budge past 55 (kinda like driving a 20" U-Haul Truck)....& after the gas peddle goes softish is when i try to press it further & it'll grab & go into OVERDRIVE or whatever you want call it.  i got it to hold a lil longer the other day but was sure how far i could take the thing.  before i go uphill a mile later i feel & ever soft difference  & i get play back in the peddle & able to do whatever i want & usually get up to 80 with no issue & then its smooth sailing from there.   there are other places where i drive that i have the same issue?

Mine always upshift too soon. So I use the shifter. When the pedal is on the floor, there is a switch that triggers a downshift from D to 2, or holds 2 until you let it up enough to get off the switch. If I want to get from 45 or so to 65 quickly, I downshift to 2 and hit the gas. If the engine is turning much below 4k rpms, you don't get quick response.

• Like 1

Mine always upshift too soon. So I use the shifter. When the pedal is on the floor, there is a switch that triggers a downshift from D to 2, or holds 2 until you let it up enough to get off the switch. If I want to get from 45 or so to 65 quickly, I downshift to 2 and hit the gas. If the engine is turning much below 4k rpms, you don't get quick response.

THX....i'll try that today & see how it goes

• 3 weeks later...