Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve Adjustment 2006 Forester

I just got off the phone with my local Subaru dealer. I was told valve adjustment is NOT required  on my 2006 Forester as it is not listed in the 105,000 service that includes changing the timing belt. My indie shop said "we have never done a valve adjustment on a Subaru." So, is valve adjustment required? Is there Subaru service literature stating that a valve adjustment  is required? I want to avoid a burnt valve(s).

"for that engine" - the best approach to valves is to inspect them when the valve cover gaskets start leaking - because all Subaru's will eventually need those replaced by 150,000 miles and then the labor is nearly done for a valve clearance check.  it's nearly "free" minus just sticking the gauge in there. 

to specficialy answer your question, it's "yes" and "no" - left to interpretation.

it's an "inspection" item at 105,000 per "subaru literature" as you call it, so it's a "yes" to inspect:
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html

but youre getting hung up on the definition of "inspection".  the engines very rarely have valve issues, it's almost unheard of.  

if the car is running great and been mildly used and maintained well - there's no reason to suspect valve adjustment is needed.

and to that end - the shops are doing you right by not recommending. to that extent it's a "no".

no noise, no issues, asymptomatic by all accounts = "good inspection".  that's normal for something with such small failure rates.

that's how they do those "60 point inspections" and "150 point certified pre-used inspections".  there's only a couple things they actually test/check, the rest are cursory glances and asymptomatic verification.  

someone will gladly take your money for something that's not going to need any work done to it if you tell them you feel better actually measuring it.  if you go this route - ask them for the actual clearance values for each valve so you can see if any are wearing differently than the rest.  in this way you can likely forgo the next adjustment at 200k or be forewarned.  

i don't recommend that at such low mileage unless the car has been doing some severe towing or racing or is modifided to forced induction. 

Edited by grossgary

if the car is running great and been mildly used and maintained well - there's no reason to suspect valve adjustment is needed.

and to that end - the shops are doing you right by not recommending. to that extent it's a "no".

no noise, no issues, asymptomatic by all accounts = "good inspection". that's normal for something with such small failure rates.

This I don't agree with.

Valve failure may not be a "common" occurance on a Subaru, but just because it isn't common doesn't mean the clearance shouldn't be checked.

An exhaust valve with tight clearance will not cause a running/driving issue until AFTER it has burned. Once it's burned its too late to make the clearance adjustment, the head has to come off to replace the valve.

Maybe you pay $200 now to have the valve clearance checked and adjusted. Maybe you wait and pay $2000 later to have the head removed to have the valve replaced.

Granted, this is not an old Volkswagen, its a fairly new Subaru, the valves probably should not need adjustment at 105k miles, which is why Subaru simply states to "inspect" them. IMO It is a check that should be done regardless.