Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

windsheild chips

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rugbyben

rugbyben

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State College, PA

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:22 PM

Are small chips in your wind sheild fixable?
I have several very small stone chips, I just dont want them to turn into cracks.
Does anyone know if winshield repair is actually a solution or just a band aid? and does it cost a lot?

#2 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:34 PM

Personally, I don't believe in the process. What's happening is that a high resin glue is injected into the void and cured. Some cracks/chips can be "fixed" - most can't. If insurance will cover a replacement, and if you have a reputable shop, go the full route. If not, drive it until it's unsafe and find a shop that will remove all of the original material (urethane) and start from scratch on the pinchweld. Do not settle for the close-cut method. Bad news.

#3 rugbyben

rugbyben

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State College, PA

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:25 PM

bad news because it leaks?

#4 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 02 June 2004 - 02:31 PM

Leaks are one of the problems. Some people do a really poor (uneven) cut out and the method of application is to just put a bead of new urethane down. Uneven surfaces result in uneven pressure points = breakage. Additionally, the windshiels was designed to be part of the structural strength in a rollover from about 1985 and up. With less urethane to actually hold the shield in place, the rollover strength is decreased, as well as the possibility of holding an occupant in the vehicle in the event of a front-on collision.

#5 rugbyben

rugbyben

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State College, PA

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:10 PM

wow and i just thought it was to keep bugs out of my teeth.

We do have an actual Auto-Glass shop here that does nothing else, so i would go to them when i need to fix it, bytthe way im waiting until it cracks. and I will go armed with some information and questions to ask.
Thanks!

#6 charlierh2

charlierh2

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Minneapolis, MN

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:53 PM

watch out for have insurance pay for a small thing like that. ur premiums will go up^ up^ up^.

#7 Lesbaru

Lesbaru

Gir is my copilot

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:12 PM

I had a chip and got the epoxy-treatment before it turned into a crack. Did that about 2 years ago, and I haven't had any problem with it yet. The company (Guardian Auto Glass) will only do that to chips on the passenger side of the windshield. If it's on the driver's side, they say you should really replace the whole thing, because the epoxy does leave a little mark and distort your view a bit. Cost me $30.

#8 Will Smith

Will Smith

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Placerville

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:06 PM

several insurance companies will cover the entire cost of the epoxy repair if you have glass breakage coverage. They figure it will keep it from cracking until you trade it in on a new one.

#9 rugbyben

rugbyben

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State College, PA

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:35 AM

interesting.. the chips i have are on the drivers side, there are about 5, and they are very small. they look like very tiny water droplets, thats what i thought they were until i ran the whipers and nothing happened.

most are nto very deep except for one. it is very strange how it is so mall but it is like a hole about have way thru. it resembles a pit like you get in chrome, very strange. thats the only one im worried about. I am hoping it will make it through the summer, but im pretty sure it will crack the first time it gets ice on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users