Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 swap into EA82 with SPFI/AT3 trans

fatboy_dan

I have seen tons of posts around here regarding swapping parts of one into another, spfi to an EA81 rig, etc etc... 

but I'm faced with a unique situation at least to me

my mother's 1991 EA82 w/AT3 trans ate another set of head gaskets. Possibly cracked head, not sure yet. Not interested in repairs, just thinking of donating my EA81 engine to that car until I can find an EJ22/25. Anyway... I have a few questions I couldn't quite find answers to.

1- being that the EA82 is already SPFI, can these parts be swapped onto the EA81 block when installed, saving hacking anything up?

2- EA81 is a 4 speed car, and the EA82 being the 3 speed automatic... could I swap the flex plate and torque converter to the EA81 without troubles?

3 - is there anything other than the basic procedures I need to watch for or take care of? 

Is the EA82 SPFI manifold the same as the EA81 SPFI manifold? for example, are the inlets the same on the EA81 and EA82 heads?

I do know the EA81 was mated to the 3 speed Auto here in Australia

As I understand it the flex plate should bolt on without any problems.

Is the exhaust going to match up?

You will need the EA82 dizzy which will need some modification to fit the EA81 motor

Only problems I can think of

some reading on the subject

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/14639-ea81-spfi-conversion-and-more-horsepowertorque/

TOONGA

Edited by TOONGA

Jules, there is no such thing as an EA81 SPFI manifold - they were only on EA82 and retro-fitted to EA81 (you probably saw Tony on AUSubaru bought mine and used it on his EA81).

GD has a long instruction for retro-fitting the EA82 SPFI to EA81, it all should be pretty much as per the manual except make sure you keep the EA82 y-pipe for the oxy sensor (and the modified EA82 dizzy as per Jules' comments (and the manual)).