Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intercooler sprayers

Anyone else using one? ANy noticable difference? Its been about 100 degrees here the past week and I installed a sprayer a few days ago.. a few squirts at a stop light to dissipate some of the heat.. My car seems a to be a bit happier now.

Seems like it might be a little messy on a top mount, have you noticed any issues? I would think the ideal set up might be to have it boost/charge temp controlled with a manual override. It would be nice to see the affect on charge temp during a hard pull, any measured or seat-of-pants data?

Gary

Seems like it might be a little messy on a top mount, have you noticed any issues?
No messier than rain going into the scoop.. The STi comes with an IC sprayer on a top mount. No apparent problems as of yet.

How did you go about doing it Caleb?
Tank, pump, hose, nozzles, momentary button and some time:brow:

i think i got a circuit to do injection/ spray's at certain psi of boost
If you wait until the car hits boost, its too late.. You want the IC to be cooled before you hit boost.

I'll get some pics and maybe a small writeup together later. One little hint. Everything except the 3 zip ties and spray nozzles are Subaru parts

it seemed to work better with the hood down too caleb. HEHEHEHE but it put out a nice spray of mist from what i could tell. Still thinking about how to maybe make the water colder before you spray it. icon10.gif

Just a thought here, what about putting the ac dryer into the bottle, run the ac, get the water nice and cold, then turn your ac off when you want to tear up the raod with your cold water ? Just a thought. instead of having to stop, get ice, and put the ice into the bottle. i know fords have a pretty good size bottle you could use for letting the small dryer the soobs have into the lid with out much modification. and could still have room to add water when you need to refill the bottle.

i was in texas for two days last week(thats why i didnt try to meet up with any subaru kids down there) and a friend of mine runs a turbo 300z with a big fat fmic. he was loosing to my brothers srt4 till he took his bumper off, and all of the sudden it made just enough difference to beat him. so... i bet ANYTHING you can do helps. especially in texas where every other car is a mustang. :burnout:

Obviously keeping a bag/block of ice is going to cool better than water. Not terribly practical in daily driving situations though. As far as automatic control and having something that anticipates the need for the spray, I didn't really find that to be necessary. I personally don't have too much trouble pushing a button on the dash when I want it to spray. A design for optimal spray usage/water conservation? That would depend on a number of factors, IC size being a big one.

Total cost $0

Parts list (yours may vary)

2 Garden Fogger Nozzles from home depot

1 Rear washer tank from an EA82 Wagon(with pump)

1 Rear wiper/washer switch from an EA82 wagon

1 'T' connector (pulled from under the hood of an EA82 wagon)

- some various assorted hoses. I used windshield washer hoses from.. you guessed it.. an EA82 Wagon

- Some wire

The tank fit quite nicely behind my IC, thus minimizing the amount of hose needed.

On the left side of the steering column there is a blank for a switch. It just happens to be the right size for the extra rear washer switch I had. popped right in.

The nozzles themselves are mounted on the underside of the hood in the front and rear of the hole for the hood scoop. They provide a fairly wide dispersal pattern and meet in the middle to create a fog that covers the whole IC.

As I said before. Most of the stuff came from a subaru. The nozzles were given to me by one of the local NASIOC guys that was doing the same thing on his WRX wagon. I believe they are about $2 for a pack of 10