Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Almost - The 2.5 will have a dual port exhaust instead of single port like your 2.2. If you can get the header pipe along with the motor, it all swaps right in.

Is there something wrong with the 2.2? The first generation EJ22 motor is easily twice as durable/long lived as the 90s EJ25s. The 2.5 will make a little more power, but they have repeated head gasket failures over time which often translates into cooked rod bearings/rod knock/thrown rod. Just FYI.

If your 2.2 is dead or dying and you got a good deal, it's an easy swap to get back on the road. The 2.5 in an Impreza will give lots of power. Go easy on the throttle.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

The 2.2 that's in the car runs good though it doesn't seem to have the same power as the 95 2.2 that was in the car that the 97 replaced. The 95 had major rust issues on the rear struts. I picked up a 98 outback parts car that the previous owner just replaced the head gaskets timing belt,all new pulleys,tensioner about 1000 miles ago and found out the rear shock tower was gone so I bought it for the drive train. It runs beautifully only hear the injectors tick while its running. The issues with the 2.5 headgaskets etc..do concern me but I figured it would be a nice power upgrade and if it goes bad I can always throw the 2.2 back in it.