Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have you lifted an automatic Subaru? I gots questions.

bleakhorizon84

Specifically geared towards a 99 forester, but might be sameish over the years.

My major dilemma looks to be the shift cable, it looks tight at the stock location, and impossible if I were to drop the drivetrain 6 inches.

So what say you, does another Subaru have a longer cable, will it stretch (lol) or am I going to have to swap in my mega shifter?

It just so happens I did this a few months ago on a 2004 Baja Turbo. I searched for a suitable Subaru replacement that would have the right fittings on each end to save trouble fabbing one up and such but nothing was just right. What I ended up doing was this: I left the end on the transmission as is. I cut off the last inch to inch and a half of the threaded rod that captures the fitting between the two nuts that mates to the stock shifter and welded a hollow steel tube with the same ID as the OD on the threaded rod onto the cable side. I think it was about 1/8in ID. Then I used 3/16 or so steel strip that was about 1.25in wide and drilled it so that it bolted to the two bolts that retain the stock bracket that retains the cable on housing on the shifter assembly. Then a few inches down I drilled two matching holes so that the bracket could be bolted on. Then I slipped the threaded rod and fitting into the shifter and made sure that both the shifter and the tranny were in Park with no stress and then a tacked the threaded rod into the tube that extended the cable.

In short I relocated the point where the cable housing bracket bolts to the shifter assembly forward a few inches and extended the cable (which is metal threaded rod at the end near the shifter) an equal amount so that it is still adjustable and reaches. I used a TIG and worked in small sections to avoid overheating the extension and melting the nearby plastic and rubber housing, a metal clamp to heatsink also helped.

It will be a few days before I can get pics, but if you need them let me know. I can also give better measurements but they might not apply to you exactly, but the method should be the same.

Edited by subarubrat