Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2010 Subaru Outback rear ended another car causing the driver and passenger air bags to deploy since there was a front passenger.  I replaced both bags including new airbag clockspring plugs wire connector for the driver airbag.  I also sent off the front seat belts and the SRS Module to be re-sprung and re-set.  After fixing the front end and installing all of the above airbag related components the car started but the red dashboard air bag light has remained on.  The passenger air bag stays off also when occupant in seat.  The codes retrieved are: 1A and 7A (driver airbag failure) and 29 (occupant detection system failure).  The Subaru dealer then spent 2 hrs ($180) to give me the prognosis that I needed: 

(a) Instrument Panel Meter ($350)

(B) Steering Roll Connector ($30)

© Passenger Seat Bottom Assembly ($850)

(d) installation and programming ($500)

................for a total of about $1,750   !!

I have a few questions:   I am not sure why the Instrument Panel Meter is needed unless the red airbag light is permanently on?

Supposedly the passenger seat assembly connectors for the sensors and occupant detection control module are not accessible but I came across an online schematic that showed the passenger seat schematic/breakdown and actually had a price on the sensor.  The entire seat assembly was pricey verses <$100 for the sensor.  Any suggestions on my next step? Thanks !!!

best4me2fixit,

I can't answer concerning the first two items but the passenger seat bottom situation screams "ripoff", particularly since you can get the sensor for $100, and if you are a DIY wrencher, mechanically adept, know someone who is, or you want to dig into it yourself. The dealership makes more if they sell you a whole new seat bottom, and it guarantees that the sensor will be correctly installed and they won't have any call backs on it.

Personally, I'm a wrencher, and I've had years of swapping car seats, doing brake jobs, swapping crank up windows for power assemblies, etc. I'd tackle the job in a heart beat,

The seats are not hard to remove, and tearing the seat itself apart is fairly easy (only tools needed are hog rings and hog ring pliers, get from car upholstery shop or online $10 buys everything you'll need). YouTube vids and the FSM show the steps. Swap in the sensor and put it back together. Then let the dealership do the programming.

Use this link for the FSM for your year:             http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Legacy%20Outback/

and select your year to download.

I had the passenger seat out of my 2012 last fall to remove the bottom leather seat cover and remove some rolled up glue that was showing through the leather surface. Piece of cake. I suspect when you get as far as I did, you'd just take a picture where the hog rings are located, cut them out, remove the foam padding and replace the sensor. But you may be able to do the job from the bottom of the seat without having to take it all apart. See what the FSM tells you.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

gphrps,

Thank you very much for your reply and info!  I just joined this forum a few days ago and it was because I had googled this seat assembly subject and landed on your article about the seat removal!!!  Awesome article.  Yes, I'm a wrencher too so hopefully I can utilize all of your info.  Now I can go order a sensor.   

the roll connector - check it and make sure it's not damaged?

or replace it - for only $30 i'd give that a whirl and see if it fixes your airbag issue. 

the seat - seems like that should be a rather simplistic switch/sensors - get an FSM and see if it has a schematic/resistance/testing metrics for that sensor. 

test the sensor and it's associated wiring in the seat and go from there. 

you used new Subaru airbags?

what I do is just buy a used SRS controller module - are you positive it was "reset" properly?

Ya, I think I will start with the roll connector and not instrument meter.  I was looking through the FSM and it said to replace the "Instrument Panel"  ..............NOT the Instrument Panel Meter!!  I wonder about the evaluation I paid for.   Anyways I may just go get a seat I found for $150 and replace the bottom (maybe swap out the cloth covers since color is not same). 

The air bags were bought on ebay and they were from reputable sellers.  of course both were used OEM, but not blown/repacked.  I sent the seat belts and SRS Main Module to SafetyRestore so I would think they reset it properly.

I can't find the link I had come across the other day that priced out a passenger seat wiring harness and module......if anyone comes across one please send my way!  thx

• 4 years later...

Did you ever get a solution to this?

I have repaired 2 - 2011 Outbacks with airbags deployed.

1st Car - Driver airbag, seatbelts deployed. Replaced airbag and seatbelts and had to clear Main airbag module (below center counsel), and passenger seat ODS (attached to passenger seat bottom). Local guy was able to clear both modules.

2nd Car - Driver airbag, passenger airbag, seatbelts deployed. I replaced all components and had both modules cleared but have not been able to get rid of 29 ODS code.

I have not been able to find anyone who knows what the solution is.

On a side note, I have several parts cars so was able to try clean(no airbag deployment), used modules, which did not work. Best luck I had was clearing original modules.