Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SUBARU WRX 98 SEDAN STALLS WHILST DRIVING

HI ALL,     

I have a Subaru WRX 98 model sedan 4dr.  

Roughly for the past 4-5 weeks, my Check Engine light will come on whilst driving and then whilst doing 70kmh with foot off the accelerator, rolling, then ill go to press the pedal whilst still in motion and it will be flat, constantly bucking if i press the accelerator on and off real fast sometimes it will come out of it.    Majority of the time I have to put it in Neutral and let it Stall. 

The car will start back up straight away, but sometimes as i go to take off it may take me 6 to 7 attempts as it keeps stalling. 

It seems to be getting worse and i always notice the check engine light on when it happens. 

Another thing i have noticed is that when i come to a stop and put gear in neutral, my RPM will drop to around 400 and then gradually work its way back up to where it should be, not sure if that is a different problem or part of the same. 

Someone please Help,   Any ideas !!

there MAY be a way to mate some connectors under the dash to get a 'blink code'. Here, we can also get auto parts retailers to read codes for us. If you own a smartphone, there is a BlueTooth adapter and free app that will let you read codes and other info for less that $15-$20 or so.

hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in.

The light is solid ..   i dont have the OBD2 Cable required to get the error code 

Im sure it could be a thousand things,  I guess i was just hoping that maybe someone else had a similar problem to point me in the right direction to fix the problem ... :-(

there MAY be a way to mate some connectors under the dash to get a 'blink code'. Here, we can also get auto parts retailers to read codes for us. If you own a smartphone, there is a BlueTooth adapter and free app that will let you read codes and other info for less that $15-$20 or so.

hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in.

ok great thanks for that bud

if you could post the actual trouble code numbers (DTCs) it could, someone else if not me.

after recording the code numbers, you can clear them, then monitor how quickly and which ones come back. Sometimes a 'glitch' occurs and might persist for sometime.

if yoy're unsure about the injector, swap it with one in a different cylinder and see if the problem moves with the injector.