Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Unsure of what belt to use for A/C delete...

what engine/vehicle/year?

did it come with factory A/C or dealer installed A/C?

have you tried to install it yet?

when i've done A/C deletes I just measure it - wrap something around the pulleys and measure it.  the digits in the part number for belts usually include the length for the belt.  

I'll either try today or tomorrow. Been trying to get her ready for a decent road trip. I have just been spraying the power steering pump for the last 1000 miles with pb blaster. The bearing is pretty shot, I'm just waiting to install. Nothing like 10 degrees to motivate you.

Well, the components are mounted in different places depending whether it had factory A/C, dealer A/C, or without (3 different options).

Here's the factory A/C setup (looks like the A/C belt is removed):

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's (basically, that looks like a different alternator, but it's the best picture I could find that shows the location of the components) dealer-installed:

DSCF0001.jpg

Here's no-A/C

SAM_0179.JPG

So, if you have factory A/C, remove the compressor, but leave the alternator where it was (which isn't great, as the compressor itself is much of the support for the alternator, but I've done it), The belt for a car without A/C will definitely be considerably short. I think when I did it that way, I used the stock alternator belt (as it just bumps up slightly onto the A/C compressor), which was within the adjustment range, and then left off the A/C belt.

im not sure you can do that, both alternator mounts is on the compressor bracket. you need the non-ac alternator bracket. its way to flimsy and puts forces on the intake, worsening any intake gasket sealing. 

you dont really need to get rid of it, the alternator belt barely puts pressure on the compressor pulley. i had a siezed one on my old rig for a few years. if the ac doesnt work, just take off the other belt. one belt is adequate to turn the two other pumps and alternator. 

Edited by maozebong