Ultimate Subaru Message Board

galvanizing primer what do you guys think?

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/duplicolor-rta9255-krylon-rust-tough-paint-prime-galvanizing-12-oz-can-coating-bonds-to-metal/?gclid=CjwKEAiA3Ou1BRDso5XyhduuwFASJABP3PEDdleqH7CT2yMeqoPVG1JolIjeq9OXrtsTmbNfHT7AexoCJWjw_wcB

I found this at my local hardware store so i figured I'd give it a shot. I've got a few small projects I want to tackle on my subie mainly rust repair on rear hatch handle plate and some small touchups.

What do you guys think? Sounds like a good primer to me, it does contain zinc, still the metal will need to be prepped properly before applying.

I've used galvanized primer plenty of times on car parts, steel wheels, metal outdoor furniture, etc. Seems to work pretty well. It definitely lasts longer than paint alone.

If you want paint to stick to metal, use an etching primer. Makes paint stick like stank on... well, you know...

Etching primer tends to be pretty expensive though, and can really mess up some materials so you have to be careful where you use it.

• Like 1

POR15. just remove loose rust. The stuff is incredibly tough. On the inside, non visible areas, Waxoyl. On less you are certain that the rust is only on one side, you have to get at it from both sides.

Ya, I'm familiar with por15, I'm just not ready to make that investment yet. I'm just going to use this for a temporary patch until I'm ready to do a full teardown and properly repair the rust, then I'll use por15.

I sprayed my trailer frame with a different brand 7 years ago.  I never painted over it because I still had more welding to do, and I haven't gotten back to it since.  It has been stored outside the whole time in western Oregon, so it's been rained on a little bit.  I noticed that rust is just now starting to show on the edges of the metal, which I thought was pretty impressive.

• Like 1