Ultimate Subaru Message Board

04 Forester trans into 99 obs?

blk99obs

I just bought an 04 foz 5mt trans.

Got it home, realized the pieces of axle where they cut them and left them on the trans have no roll pin like mine, and instead go inside the trans.

In other words the trans has no stub axles.

Does anyone know if I can just buy different axles and run it?

Anything else I need to watch out for or be aware of? like different clutch splines, or electronics?​

I am already running a legacy outback 5mt (4.11) and rear diff, but that one is older and swapped right in.

I am changing the trans because mine is worn out, making bad noises, and I want the taller 5th gear anyway.

Thanks! 

*Update* I found that I can apparently use axle stubs, circlips, and seals from a 6MT to convert my trans to stubbed and use my old female axles.

5MT stubs can't be removed from the trans without opening the case as they use a C-clip which needs to be taken off with snap-ring pliers, rather than a circlip like the 6MT which can pop right out... so I'm not doing that.

The 6MT stub uses a circlip and goes into the tranny just the same as a male axle. 

I'm going to try and source these stubs today, and failing that, go to the parts store and compare axles, see if I can figure out what to use.

These are the part numbers for the stub conversion I've come up with, for future ref.

Axle stubs: 38415AA110
Seals: 806730042
Circlips: 805329010

Any help with finding correct male axles for an 04 forester trans into a 99 OBS would be appreciated, as that's more likely going to be what happens.   

• 1 month later...

ORRRRRRR, you can just buy axles from a 2006/7 WRX wagon… They're the right length and have the pop-in style stubs. (for stubless transmissions)… I've gone through all of this in my 1995 Impreza coupe..

WRX sedan is wider than WRX wagon. 

WRX wagon is same (axle) width as GC/GF/GM Impreza.

02-05 WRX has male stub transmission (uses roll pins)

06-07 WRX has stubless transmission (pop-in axles)

Hope this helps!

To further add info, you can WIDEN your GC/GF/GM impreza by using GD sedan control arms/lateral links, and the respective proper GD sedan axles that fit whatever style transmission is in your car. I have GD sedan width stuff on my coupe, with a 2004 Forester XT 4.44 5 speed transmission (hydraulic pull type clutch), 2006 WRX sedan front axles (pop-in axles), 2004 STI struts/springs.

4852771F-08B2-49D7-B158-CC146DDFB090_zps

Edited by obk25xt

• 3 weeks later...

*Update* I found that I can apparently use axle stubs, circlips, and seals from a 6MT to convert my trans to stubbed and use my old female axles.

5MT stubs can't be removed from the trans without opening the case as they use a C-clip which needs to be taken off with snap-ring pliers, rather than a circlip like the 6MT which can pop right out... so I'm not doing that.

The 6MT stub uses a circlip and goes into the tranny just the same as a male axle. 

I'm going to try and source these stubs today, and failing that, go to the parts store and compare axles, see if I can figure out what to use.

These are the part numbers for the stub conversion I've come up with, for future ref.

Axle stubs: 38415AA110

Seals: 806730042

Circlips: 805329010

Any help with finding correct male axles for an 04 forester trans into a 99 OBS would be appreciated, as that's more likely going to be what happens.   

FYI, that part number is good for '02-'06 4EAT as well.