Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I have a 2005 Outback 2.5i 5spd that has a big vibration that I cant track down. It begins around 30mph and is worst at 40mph. It seems too fast to be a tire, doesn't alter with engine speed. If I coast in gear, it goes away. If I coast in neutral, it is still there. If I am on the gas, acceleration or steady it is there as well. The clutch does the same as neutral. It is bad enough to distort the mirrors to uselessness. I am going to lose fillings soon. can anyone give me a test to do?

For some stupid reason I had CV nut come lose on me right off in a parking lot, and thought "that explains it!". So I replaced a wheel bearing and the shaft. thinking that this must have been the source of the vibration. Nope. Before I go dumping more money into this, can someone help me out? I have checked bearings all the way around, rotated tires, balanced them, and changed rear and trans fluids (rear looked good inside).

On my 2001 5 speed obw I had to replace the entire drive line...  with shipping it was around $450.00.  Drive line shop claimed they couldn't do replacement /greasable ujoints  on that year car ,yet my new replacement came with replaceable and greaseable joints... go figure.  

• Like 1

Here's tire rack's info: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SelectTireSize.jsp?autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Outback+Wagon+2.5I&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=Base+Model

Select the drop down boxe ("Don't see your tire size") and see what they are saying will fit. Expand the custom size under 18" and 17", and enter 16" with tire size. If it works, they'll sell it. I entered 05' Outback 2.5L base. Correct if that's not what you have. They'll list every size tire that FITS with that rim.

For what it's worth, I bought tires from them before and they were extremely quick shipping them. Got an excellent bargain too. Plus you can actually compare wet, dry, snow performances and better tires have tons of legit reviews, both bad and good. Make sure to select appropriate tire i.e. all season, winter, summer, etc. with whatever you get. They have a master warehouse in Indiana.

Edited by Bushwick

Nice tool. looks like they will sell the size, but not that exact tire. I use this tire on my truck in a much larger size (315 series) and man do they go in the snow. Not to mention they wear like a a dedicated road tire. 30k and they still look like an AT tire with 4-5k.

Edited by gdcpony