Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I started my car this morning it was -3 degrees outside. So I let it sit there for about 10-15 minutes before I started driving it. The blue temp light went off but then the red temp light started blinking on and off for my entire commute. It wouldn't shut off and I drove about 65 miles because I had to with no heat because the radiator didnt seem to turn on. Any idea what this problem might be.

Probably low on coolant. That should have been checked as soon as that red light started blinking.

If it were out of coolant you wouldn't have made it ten miles. The engine didn't seize, so its likely it didn't majorly overheat, just needs some coolant added to it. But you also need to find the source of your leak. Coolant doesn't readily evaporate, the only way it gets low is if its leaking somewhere. Usually leaks on these are very slow, so fill it up and keep an eye on the coolant level.

• Like 2

Worst case it hurt the bearings, possibly weakened the rods. It probably didn't go that far but could have. Just use the 50\50 since you don't know your current amount. It's same as concentrate but mixed with distilled water. Personally, I use concentrate and tap water on daily drivers. That was good enough for a long time till the coolant companies started charging extra for some distilled water

• Like 1

Just finished Dropping a 2.5 in my sons legacy due to the same thing.

The eng over heated, badly......idiot lights are worthless......on his way home from work. The drive was about 30 miles. Temp was -17 at the time but t had dropped into the -20+ windchill during parts of the day. I drove out to where the car was piped the hood and saw slush in the overflow.

opened the rad cap, ice. The ol subi still started so we drove it the last mile home. Pulled the engine, put the spare parts n and off he went.

Later that day I pulled the heads and there was ice in the galleys.

Someone, no one seems to know who, added water sometime.

Use good quality coolant and follow manufactures recomendations.

• Like 1

I put Prestone 50/50 in it and let the engine run for about 20 minutes with the Rad Cap off to bleed out any air. And I filled the overflow reservoir. Drove my 65 miles home no problem from work. Heat was working fine. Parked it on a somewhat flat area in front of my house came out this morning found no leaks on the ground the level in the reservoir did go down though. The system must have been completely empty or almost. So far so good, but Im going to flush the whole thing out soon and refill it so I know what's in there. Shame on me I bought the car but in being so busy I didn't think to check everything out more thoroughly. Thanks for the help guys.

Watch the level like a hawk. Check every day, before first drive. The level may go down a small amount as the last air gets out, but it should level off in a few days. I don't know these newer models as well, but with my ea82 engines, this discription of events means new headgaskets sooner or later. Idiot light for temp Is useless. Overheat due to low coolant is bad. Best way to avoid is check often. Check the upper hose by squeezing, listen for water sloshing, and the giggle pin. And check the overflow level.

Don't use that coolant conditioner crap. It's stop leak, and we all know what stop leak does. The 10+ ej25 doesn't have head gasket problems for no reason like the previous models because subaru finally decided to give them the MLS gaskets they needed from the start. You likely have a small leak from a gasket, o-ring, or hose that need to be found and fixed properly, not bandaided with stop leak.

Don't use that coolant conditioner crap. It's stop leak, and we all know what stop leak does

Except that we know that the subaru condition [stop leak] does no harm.  Hundreds of people on these many forums have used it.  In the case of the OP, it may/probably be a small leak that evaporates and that the stop leak could fix.  And don't put too much faith in the MLS OEM gaskets that they started to use in 2010 [on outbacks].  There have been far too many post about hg problems with the 2010+ cars.