Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT phase II , valve body version I vs Version II question

AlainB

basically: can I install a phase II version 1 valve body in a later model transmission that has a version II valve body ?

long story short I swapped last week a JDM WRX Sportshift 4eat that came with the new Gray B11 connector into a 2001 outback that use the older black B11 connector and nothing works properly because the black B11 and the gray B11 have a completely different pinout, the TCM can't talk to the solenoids and sensors

I want to swap the valve body and the black B11 harness of my 2001 OEM transmission into the new one to finally get my car back on the road after almost 2 months

I don't care for loosing the sportshift feature for future upgrade

Edited by AlainB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey man Im sorry that nobody responded to this. I completely forgot that I had an account here until I stumbled on your thread in a google search. The 4EAT is just not a popular topic at all. This makes it very tedious and frustrating when trying to get solid reliable information. What did you end up doing? From what Ive found my 2002 4EAT WRX has a phase 2 version 1 transmission and it CAN be upgraded and modified with a valve body kit, unlike the phase 2 version 2. Can you confirm this? I am a left leg above knee amputee so I have no choice in pjcking an auto or manual. Ive wanted the JDM tiptronic paddle shifter equipped 4EAT since I got my bugeye but it seems like an impossible task. I havent found a single case where the owner has been successful.