Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat front strut ??

Brat's going to need new shocks/struts soon. I might want to put some nicer EA82 struts on it, as I'm aware that the tops will swap between EA81 and EA82. I don't recall hearing if the EA82 struts will fit in the EA81 steering knuckles though?

I also need to do wheel bearings soon so I'd like to know if I'll be keeping my EA81 knuckles or rigging some from an EA82 to fit so I can have the better suspension? thanks!!

The struts don't swap (without the knuckles), and to fit the knuckles you need the lower control arms from an EA82.... but they are longer, and you will have to weld the control arm mount to the cross-member after cutting the old mounts out. Miles Fox has done it - might ask him about it.

Also - because of the difference in width, the strut tops will be at the wrong angle for proper alignment, so you will have to come up with some form of camber adjustment for the strut top....

GD

Just a heads-up. Maccspring.Com (Michael Wagenstein, 800-585-5117) is selling me KYB 234028 struts for $62.93 each with free shipping for >$100 worth of parts. I will most likely order these from him for our 87 Brat. The rears shocks are KYB KG4183A's and are at $33.35 each. Don't know if this is a good price. However, I have dealt with Macsspring in the past (Edelbrock IAS shocks for our Expedition) and they are great to work with.

Regards,

aba4430