Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air hose - where to get a good one like the super mechanics have.

shoebee2

Went to the local big doc store to grab some clamps. Walked by the clearance racks and there was a Dewalt 4.9 gal 200 psi compressor just a sitting there wearing a 75 dollar price tag. So, ya. I bought it. Display model, nothing wrong. Tossed in a cheap, 28.99 50' hose that seemed like,it may get work for light duty stuff.

compressormis great but that hose is poop. Package lists 3/8 in 250 psi. Not much else. The hose is that nylon wrap PVC el-cheapo that seems to come with all the compressors these days.

PROS: ummmmmm, I'll get back to you.

CONS: brittle in the cold, will not ever relax and straighten out. Ever. At all. In the real cold like we have here in the winter it won't hardly bend. Internal Id is not 3/8ths of an inch. It is 1/4. OD is 1/2. Wtf?

For those of us who use air tools the hose size is a big deal. 1/4 inch ID is going to reduce torque and speed.

So where do you get "good air hose".

Harbor Freight

Amazon

thesons

What makes a good air hose?

Layering. Flexible 100% rubber inner tube, flexible 100% rubber mid tube that is strengthened with nylon braid, not wrap, flexible 100%rubber outer or ware layer.

All three layers are annealed at temperature and pressure to form a molecular level bond.

Who makes good air Hose?

Goodyear.

Tekton (they buy from Goodyear?)

I think goodyear has a patent on the annealing process is likely why you don't see knockoff brands.

Goodyear air hose is made in Ohio not shengzu Provence.

Cost:

I ordered. 50' of hose from Amazon. With free shipping. Total was 67.99 US. Almost twice the price. But that hose will last your lifetime and not break unless you drop your subi on it. Also with an Actual 3/8ths" ID you will improve the,performance of your tools which makes you an even bigger stud when you rattle those spindle nuts off with a 3/8ths impact gun.

Tip: put a two foot tail directly on your gun. Hook shop air to the tail. Keeps that big ol coupler away from your work. You won't believe the difference.

post-52459-0-31546000-1455730317_thumb.jpeg

Edited by shoebee2

I did not get a reel but will in the future. Budget sucks right now and I hate buying crappy tools.

By a tail I mean get a 3/8 NPT compression lock fitting on the end of your gun, add the hose using compression fitting.

I'm probably butchering the description. Technical name is air tool air hose extension...ask the Google. You will see what I mean right away. I don't know if it's worth the price to jump to 1/2" line. Bulkier and less flexible in cold weather. Improved CFM but unless your gun is starved I wouldn't worry about it. If you run big stuff like a 3/4 gun or high CFM tools like a high speed 1/2 drill or big air hammer, tire gun etc, it might just be worth the loss in Line flex.

Edit: the tail replaces the fitting on the gun itself.

post-52459-0-64278600-1455740727_thumb.jpeg

Edited by shoebee2

gotcha - that's what i thought you meant, just making sure.

oh okay - i have a 3/4" impact rated at 1,000 ft/lbs usually used on rusty fasteners and it often can't get axle nuts off - so i might go with larger short length hose in the garage and then the normal sized hose available for longer runs outside the garage. 

i have a bunch of left over PEX tubing maybe i should install multiple runs all over the garage and just have a short length of hose to attach to those...LOL

• 2 weeks later...

We used to have a really good hose at the service center I used to work at. It was nice and thick, but still flexible, I think it was harbor freight it looked just like this.http://m.harborfreight.com/38-in-x-50-ft-premium-rubber-air-hose-61939.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Edited by mikaleda

HF used to have the best deal on airhose. 100' 3/8" of Goodyear rubber hose for something like $20. It was probably blems they were getting but any I have do not leak.. I also have a 25' HF rubber hose, and it holds air too. I HATE pvc hose.

We use the red rubber hose at work, not  HF but same manufacture I'm sure.. It's adaquate at best. once it gets some age, it leaks at the crimps and I have had one crimp fitting explode.

Edited by matt167