Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weak Link

Axles - then rear differential stub axles - then probably third gear syncro's. Might explode a reverse gear if you put enough power to the pavement, but you would need something over 200 HP to do that I'm guessing. After many hard miles, the bottom ends on the EA81's go out, and usually end in a thrown rod..... but that takes MANY HARD miles. Like over 300k usually. Bad cooling systems are common in non-western states, and usually result in blown HG's and warped heads (mine are at the head shop right now being decked from PO neglect - they were warped over three times the allowable limit. hehe).

GD

Thanks DG

The reason I ask. The 86 Brat I picked up for a song and not even a full dance, that has a smoked clutch and I can't get it in 1st. gear. Most likely why the clutch is gone. I can get it to go in low range and everything else in the drivetrain seems to work like it should. Have you run into this before? Is there an easy fix for this or should I just put in the 5sp out of a 87 eab2 parts car I bought?

The clutch is what I consider a "wear item", and considering what I've punished my clutch with on my wagon ('82 4 speed D/R), I would say that the EA81 4WD clutch (post '82) is nothing short of amazing. I've been off-road countless times now with a *used* clutch that was givin to me by Qman when I blew up the 2WD clutch that I shouldn't have been off-roading with in the first place. No, the clutch (if driven with any sense at all) is not a weak link in my opinion, but it will of course wear out faster with big tires, and hard off-road use. I doubt I'll get more than 20,000 from this one. At least they are way easy to change. Takes a couple hours. Good time to check the rear main seal too. I collect junk yard clutches now - $10 for a clutch disc - and often I find them with more than 50% left on em. Especially the 2WD variety. And as stated above, the EA82 4WD clutch is the same, and the yards are just littered with them. Can't say as much for the axles, which are getting hard to find in the yards.

GD

Front's are easy - Autozone sells GCK brand axles (brand NEW, not remaned) for $90 with no core charge. Rears are a pain, but I think if I called around I could get rebuild parts fairly reasonable. It's just that I keep breaking them. Probably going to convert to a VW vanagon rear axle setup at some point. Then I can use Porche CV's....

GD

On my last wheelin trip i smoked my clutch well before any axle gave me grief. And at the cost of a clutch & time to install, i'd preffer to think of a CV as "wear item".

I believe my clutch was giving me problems cause my car was loaded with camping gear and 4 people, climbing a mountainside.

With a Brat or a Hatch, your looking at CV's as your weakest link, and the clutch as a close second, depending on the brand of clutch.

Also, you can find front CV axles at any Kragen, Schuck's, or Checkers for like $55 to $70, with a core charge. Core's arent a problem cause i never need a broken CV :) Twice I have gotten away with calling Kragen, and telling them I was quoted $63 for a complete axle from Napa, and they'll beat napa's price by 5%. Might wanna call napa for a real quote though, just to compare.

-Brian