Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Kabota deisel in a GL?

While in Oreilys looking for a water pump for Grumpy Car, one of the guys working there mentioned that someone he knows swapped a Kabota tractor deisel into an 80s subaru and that it mated right up to the subaru transmission. He didnt know much specifics about the car, but thinks his manager owns it now. Ill be going back in tomorrow to find out more, as im very intrigued with this idea. Has anyone heard of this or something similar being done?

That is very interesting, I'll like to see Photos too.

I've only seen Kubota diesel engine swaps, on Chevrolet S-10 Pick Up, on Ford Ranger Pick Ups,

Jeep and even on a Suzuki sedan; However, an adaptor plate IS needed to bolt such engine to the transmission.

In the past it was a forum member that attempted a similar swap but with a VolksWagen diesel engine, however it resulted too tall for the application.

Kind Regards.

(As usual on my Posts, Underlined words are Web Links with Further info & photos)

so i went in and its the managers father that is the supposed current owner, even the manager isnt sure if he still owns the car. also found out that its a brat, which just makes it that much better lol. theyre gonna contact the owner who originally did the swap to try and track down the car for me. if i do end up finding the car, i will be taking pictures of as much as theyll let me. as for the perfomance of it with such an engine, im gonna presume its very slow, but very powerful. ill update soon when i find out more

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

heard back from the guy today. looks like i may not be able to see the car in person, but possibly the next best thing: supposedly there is a whole book on this exact conversion. he told me that its a 3 cylinder kabota and it can get about 100 mpg city and 75 highway(55-60 mph). unfortunately i might not be able to update further for a while as im about to leave the state for work for a few months, but ill do my best to learn more.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...