Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Block split

I have been donated an EA82T from a 86RX to go in my Brumby/Brat,

Apparently it has a split in the block (it let coolant out the exhaust),

I have the heads off and all looks good, where should I look for this crack when I split it open?

Has anyone heard of this happening?

Cheers Guys

Coolant into the exhaust you say? Sounds like a cracked head to me..... have the heads pressure tested just to be sure. They are very prone to cracking, and especially in the exhaust area's. Even if it IS the block, still have the heads checked as they are notorious for cracks, and it would be a pitty to not find out till after assembly.

GD

Apparently it was using a little coolant on highway trips, only when running hot, and then all of a sudden steam and smoke from the exhaust and it was shut straight down. Where on the heads do they crack normally?

Normally a small crack between the valves is common. But if the crack continues up into the exhaust port it usually means the crack goes into the water jacket. Having the the heads welded is costly in some areas. The last estimate I had several years ago was $150US. It could be more or less where you are. I think if the block had a crack, you would be losing more than water.