Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey All, I'm Dave...

Hey Everybody,

My name's Dave, and I dig Subaru's.

I build a lot of stuff, it all started when I was a kid, and I can't stop.

So, now I've got a Subaru because I have 3 years until my daughter starts driving.

So, I've decided to build something I've been thinking about for a few years now, check out the thumb nail.

I'm starting with a 99 wagon, or Legacy, or Outback, or whatever it's actual proper name is suppose to be.

It'll be a fun build I think. Nice to meet you all.

post-62035-0-79517800-1456342152_thumb.png

Edited by PsychoSubi

Thanks OlNick, I appreciate that.

I will be posting pics, a lot actually. That's not my design work. I happened upon that a few years back and just kept it in a folder named "too cool to not do".

There's a whole series of that from inception to completed prototype drawings. Here they are.

post-62035-0-47302200-1456402260_thumb.png

post-62035-0-89246100-1456402266_thumb.png

post-62035-0-49299500-1456402273_thumb.png

post-62035-0-49222800-1456402278_thumb.png

The tough part will be getting the curve at the top, rear of the cab. There are a couple of options for this on the wagon.

1. Cut small "notches" in the roof line, after the center of the old roof is removed, and "roll" the old roof edge down to meet the top of the bed.

2. Find one of the "Sport" versions of the legacy and use the "C" pillar just behind the rear door.

Now, that area will actually be outside of the cab, so if you look in the design pics, you can see it has been fully "boxed" in.

The differences from this and my idea, are the addition of the Bug Eye WRX headlights, which is my personal choice for the question "If you could only have one car forever, what would it be..?"

And the addition of some huge Bushwacker Cut-Out fender flares. but I'm not going to lift it too much. I want it to have huge tires and no lift. because I happen to like the "Urban Gorilla" look.

I'll be moving the fuel fill door to the driver side right behind the pillar, I'll be using a motorcycle fuel cap from my GSXR tank as it has a lock, and even though it was an 89 GSXR, it still looks very modern and holds a certain "aircraft" style I happen to be partial to.

The rear window from the back of the wagon will be moved forward to the cab area. I'm doing this because I really like the big glass look as oppose to welding in the back wall of "some random pick-up" from a junk yard, and I want to keep things "slightly curved". I don't like big square edges, It's just my personal opinion.

I have a 1975 Jeep Cherokee Chief with Dana 44 axles under it, so I'll be throwing them in the mix, they're 6 lugs, and it kind of appeals to me to see the truck pattern instead of the 5 lugs, more "Urban Gorilla" styling ya know.

I'll be keeping and adapting the "tailgate" original, but I'll be shortening the rear up considerably, by over a foot. It will be done in sections which takes a lot of time to get right, but I've got 3 years, and the only other part that will require the same type of attention is the rear of the cab.

I'll also be keeping some parts of the factory bumper covers because, I simply can't reproduce the correct fitment to the body that is original, but don't think I wont be altering them as they HAVE to look... Well, "Urban Gorilla".

Well, that's the plan so far. I cant ride motorcycles any longer, so I gotta have some kind of project to build. I'll be keeping an up-dated status as it goes, and asking a ton of questions from you guys as I've seen some KILLER stuff here.

Edited by PsychoSubi
  • Like 1